Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef! It's what's for dinner! Vote: Chuck or Flank Steak!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef! It's what's for dinner! Vote: Chuck or Flank Steak!

Funny story. My wife mentioned last night that our oldest daughter had asked us to come to their house for dinner tonight. This morning on her drive to work, the daughter calls me and tells me how they have lots of nice veggies to cook, but don't have any meat, and could I please find something in the deep freeze and bring it to their house? In other words, invited to dinner, but bring the main course when you come!

I had just been rummaging around in the deep freeze last night, and what comes to mind is that I MIGHT have time to smoke a chuck roast from frozen, since those usually take 5-6 hours, just add an hour maybe. Or since I have a couple of vacuum sealed flank steaks, just thaw one of those out in an hour or two on the counter, season it, and take it over there and throw it on the son-in-law's gas grill for 5 minutes per side. I am sure one flank steak will feed 4 folks, with sides. They look to be between 2 and 3 pounds each.

So - as a quick unexpected supplier of meat, do I smoke a chuck all day, or just thaw the flank steak for a couple of hours, and take it with me?
    Last edited by jfmorris; December 18, 2020, 09:23 AM.

I’d vote for the flank steak. Adds to the evening festivities when you grill it onsite.

Comment

Flank steak.

Comment

Ok, I actually started leaning towards 4 8 ounce prime sirloins I found as well. So now the choice becomes:

One 2 pound flank versus Four 8 ounce sirloins?

Comment

I still vote flank. Great classic beef flavor, quick cook, looks good when you grill it and as a bonus you get to spend more time hanging out with the fam.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            The beef flavor wins me over every time.

• Deaf Arty
            Deaf Arty commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on Henrik advice!

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            +1

Chuckie/Sir Charles! I was just talking with Barbara about flank steak the other evening. I had gone to the store earlier and mentioned that one of the things I bought was some flank steak. She told me she hates flank steak. Something about some childhood "trauma" wherein her mother, who was a single parent, made it often, and apparently not very well. I told her I bought it to slice up for Chinese food (for which it is excellent, BTW) and she seemed ok with that. "Just don't grill it and try to serve it to me," she said.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I've only cooked it before as fajitas - I marinated it for 4-5 hours, and then cooked it hot and fast on my flat top, then sliced it on a cutting board into thin slices for tacos. It was liked by all, and tender when sliced thin across the grain.

Ha! You’re not alone. We are invited to our sons house on Christmas Eve. He just called and gave his mom the list of things we need to bring! Basically everything BUT the meat. Some invite. But of course we’re happy to contribute for the chance to see him and family.

oh, and I vote flank steak too.

Comment

Well, right now, 19 degrees, a roast in the oven would be pretty fantastic, warmer climate. Flank steak all the way.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              It was 25 when I woke up - high will be in the mid 30's today I think. Sunny and cold right now. SWMBO is inside with the gas logs running. I am outside in my outbuilding sitting next to an electric radiator...

So, looks like flank is the vote from the Pit, and who am I to argue?

There are two flank steaks, about 2 pounds each (I weight them). Do I take one, or both, for 4 people?

Comment

• Deaf Arty
              Deaf Arty commented
              Editing a comment
              Take both. Leftovers in street tacos.

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              Both, don’t make the supply. limit amount enjoyed.
              Last edited by Richard Chrz; December 18, 2020, 03:40 PM.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Both, fer th win, sez I...

I gotta vote for the Flank steak as well

Comment

Take both and enjoy great leftovers. Taco, fajitas, or?

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Haha - if I do THIS, how do I gracefully bring my leftovers home....

• wu7y
                wu7y commented
                Editing a comment
                Take both and tell him it's on the condition that if there are any left overs you share them. Or for a good bottle of bourbon he can have yours too.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                A graceful, convenienlty handy Tuupperware, or deli container'd be right handy, bout then...

Jus Sayin...
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 19, 2020, 11:47 AM.

Of the choices you've named, I've got to go with flank steak ... in fact, you've got me thinking about something I haven't made or even had in ages: London Broil!

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                London Broil is great! I love Meathead's recipe from the free side of the site.

Flank steak!

Comment

Flank but I gotta say.... roll with both flank and sirloin. Both quick cooks, both very beefy.

hot n fast has your name today. Flank is not everyone’s cup of tea. I also find that a contrast is nice at times.

Thin slices of marinated flank cut just right and come salty sirloin chunkage sounds real nice with a warm plate of taters and salad.

Sounds like a win no matter what you do today. Enjoy your family.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HouseHomey for the win! I had decided on flank, was worried it might not be enough if everyone is super hungry - like I am right now, as a 4 ounce cup of Dannon yogurt is all I had for breakfast - and pulled 2 sirloins back out. All the meat is sitting on a Grillgrate griddle panel, defrosting. In an hour I will go do some prep.

Ok, I'm gonna roll with ONE flank steak, and might still pop out 2 sirloins (I vacuum sealed them in packs of 2). I'm working now, but will run in at lunch and whip up a marinate with some lemon juice, soy sauce, vinegar, oil and some spices - I am thinking diced onion, bay leaves, minced garlic, coriander and pepper - and put the scored flank steak in that in a bag. Then maybe salt the two small sirloins.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here