Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few words about sectioning a whole frozen prime rib.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few words about sectioning a whole frozen prime rib.

I had kinda the same problem glitchy did: I ordered this huge piece of meat expecting it to arrive cold, and it arrived completely frozen, A phone call to Creekstone left me satisfied with the resolution, but with a lot of questions about what to do with a whole prime rib, about 16lbs, frozen solid.

Creekstone assured me that I could partially thaw it and cut it into roasts and steaks, and some internet research corroborated that. So, since I am on vacation now, this is when I decided to do it.

I took it out of deep freeze late Sunday, and I’ve checked it every day since. It has stayed pretty solid. Last night I sensed a little give, and I probably could have worked on it then, but I decided to wait until this morning.

I started by marking off 7” for the roast that we are going to have for the holidays. I then marked the rest of the primal into 1” sections. I then cut that into five 1” thick steaks, and five 1/2” steaks for Mrs Mosca.

I did this by thinking that it couldn’t be that big a deal; put the knife in place, cut hard, don’t saw at it, and keep the knife parallel to the edge. So that’s what I did. And I was correct.

I found a use for that $10 cleaver I bought. (This knife responded wonderfully to the sharpening I gave it with the KnifeSharp machine.) I pressed down on the head of the cleaver with considerable force while drawing it backwards with my other hand. I frequently needed to do a second or third stroke; I did the same thing, placing the knife all the way in the bottom of the cut first.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B3713A5E-1A1F-4066-8A31-1907B6C5E065.jpeg
Views:	375
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	957701

This is one beautiful piece of meat. Photos don’t do it justice. It isn’t just the marbling, it’s the color, the grain... you can just tell.

Name:	A13A17E7-1AFD-400F-8ED5-359488B7D534.jpeg
Views:	191
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	957702

​​These steaks are still frozen, just starting to feel icy.

As I cut them, I moved them to the freezer, so they wouldn’t be sitting out. I have a Food Saver vacuum sealer, but I like this older, cheaper, simpler one much better. Branded Sous Vide Supreme, but made by who knows who?

Name:	CAADDFB0-F5AF-4584-92F0-3DF33EC64516.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	957703
    I made the bags from the bag roll first, while the steaks were in the freezer, then worked quickly to seal them all, then back to the freezer with them all, except for one really nice one that is going to be for dinner tonight.

Name:	56E806C8-3ABB-4CE4-8696-3BFE137F4F29.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	957704

Notice something interesting with me. Notice that as you move from one end of the primal to the other, the muscle structure changes. This is the very end of the large end of the primal. See how there are as many as five different useable muscles there? In the other slices, taken from the middle, there are two, disregarding the little bits of muscle in what is going to be trimmed.

So, summing it all up:

The quality of the meat from Creekstone appears to be excellent. This was never in doubt, but it is nice to confirm.

It takes about 3-3 1/2 days at 35* for a 15 lb roast to go from -5* to about 25* or so.

A sharp cleaver is very useful. Cheap or expensive isn’t as important as sharp.

Work fast if you are going to refreeze.

The steaks are different, depending on where you cut them from. I personally don’t have a preference. I’ve eaten both, and I’ve never ever spit out a single bite. People will say buy the small end. Trust me, no one will care.

Nice looking meat, and its always nice when you finish with the same amount of digits as you started

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      The other day I really whacked my right index finger, in the flesh right behind the first knuckle. It wouldn’t stop bleeding, I had to tape my fingertip bent down to the base and hold it there overnight.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Opps....same amount as started but not the same shape as when you started.
      My fingers and hands have taken they're share of hits over the years, never fun.

That’s some good eating right there!

Comment

i do this all the time now. i rarely buy individual steaks. cutting through those things can be tough for me when they are that cold so you must have one heck of a sharp knife! it's amazing how fast the individual steaks warm up.

Comment

I will definitely remember this next time I get a sale email from them...thanks.

Comment

Oh, these steaks are OUTSTANDING. I didn’t snap a photo,I was too busy moving my teeth. They are all there.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
            Jfrosty27 commented
            Editing a comment
            🎶Yum 🎶Yum 🎶Yum🎶

Looks amazing! Been wanting to get a rib primal from Creekstone sometime and this might just put me over the edge.

BTW, on that bottom picture that kind of egg shaped muscle at the top of the picture (the complexus muscle) is one of my favorite couple bites. I might even like it a bit more than the cap.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, mine too! I think of it as an extra cap.

Alrighty - Mosca you have convinced me to pull the Prime prime rib that has been in the bottom of the deep freeze for almost a year, and section it into steaks. Yvonne won't eat rare meat, the way I would want to make the prime rib, and it will serve us better as steaks. And the bones, maybe I will leave on some of the steaks, or trim and cook as beef ribs...

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Here’s my tip for split prime rib preferences:

First, if you have a large enough gathering, make two smaller roasts instead of one large roast.

If that isn’t possible, cook your roast to medium rare, and turn slices to medium well or well in a warm skillet.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Mosca that is what I have done in the past. This is not a full prime rib - more like half, I think it is 3 bones.
            Last edited by jfmorris; December 18, 2020, 08:04 AM.

Excellent work. Nice write up. Thank you for this. Yeah, not really a bad bite there. Small end or large end.... people are always trying to get more spinalis so I think that why the fuss?? 🤷‍♂️

Comment

Looks great! Thanks for the tutorial!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here