Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greasy
    commented on 's reply
    I normally leave the probe in and wrap around it. Not sure if there is a right or wrong answer though.

• scottranda
    replied
    4.5 hours in, and we're at 189.7 internal temp. I wrapped it at 160.

I have a ThermaQ so, I have 2 different probes measuring the grill temp and internal temp.

I have conundrum: If I have the probe in the meat, but then I need to wrap it, should I unprobe the meat, wrap it, then put the probe back in? My brisket wasn't that big to begin with and it's an odd cut of meat, so I was worried about taking the probe back out, then getting it back to the middle of the meat. What should I have done?

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Seems to go real fast, then the stall, then usually fast again. 141 in 1.5 hours seems hot though...especially at 225. I smoke burgers sometimes and those take 2 hours to get that temp, and they are an inch thick!
    You using the same device for internal and pit temp? Also if it cooks really fast, I would hold it 2 to 3 hours wrapped and in a cooler afterward.

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    replied
    It's still on the grill. And I took that picture just after I posted that after 1.5 hours it is 141 internal temp.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Looks good, How much longer did you keep it on after this one was taken? scottranda

• scottranda
    commented on 's reply
    Well, I only took one photo.

• scottranda
    replied
    ​Spinaker _John_ Here are the photos!

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    commented on 's reply
    It's on! We're running at 225. It's been on for almost 1.5 hours. Internal Temp is at 141 degrees (and I put it on cold from the fridge).

I'll post a picture in a few minutes.

• Spinaker
    replied
    scottranda lets see some picture when you are done cooking!! Good Luck.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Did you get it on already? That is a hard weight to guess, but i'm gonna throw out 8 hours at 225, but it is thick so...cooking from all sides almost evenly because it is square....still saying 8 hours.

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    replied
    Butchers market. Off Rea. Choice for $6.99 this week.

Leave a comment:

• smokinsteve
    replied
    Go for it Scott! Where did you find that? Only place I've seen brisket here is at Costco. Is that Choice or Prime?

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    That sir is a packer with the deckle removed and the point pretty much split from the flat. The end is super thick so I will say they cut the last 3" or so off of the flat, and finally for some reason they squared it all up. None of that is really a bad thing, the thin part of the flat is generally a dry issue, and this doesn't appear to have that. The deckle is too much fat to render so you normally cut that out anyway. If I could have a packer butchered any way I wanted so I was getting the most edible meat for my money I would have it cut pretty much just like that.
    Since it is pretty much apart already it might cook a little weird, cook them together and have the thinnest part on the top of the overlap.

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    replied
    Thanks! That's helpful!

I'm cooking it on a Kamado Joe, with some apple wood chunks from my father-in-law's backyard (he told me an apple tree fell, and I spent 3 hours chopping wood extremely happily).

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    I do not think you got a bad part of the brisket, as I don't believe such a thing exist. However, that being said. It looks to me like you have a small portion of a whole packer. (I might be wrong but that's what it looks like to me) Some may disagree with me here, but I would keep it whole. Being that it is a smaller piece, I would want to keep as much mass together as I could to keep it from drying out. I would take it to about 165 F and wrap it tightly. Then I would finish it inside in the oven or on your cooker. What are you cooking this bad boy on? Plan on about six hours or so at 225 F with the wrap. I have never cooked one this small (mine are mostly 10 to 18 lbs.) but if I were doing it, that is what I would think would be a reasonable cook time. Hope this helps
    Good Luck and take some pics..

-John

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here