Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime rib idea from Ina Garten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime rib idea from Ina Garten

Barefoot Contessa is usually pretty spot-on , IMO.

Yesterday I was watching, and she slathers her roast with Dijon mustard before applying SPG. Now, I think that would be pretty good with Cow Crust. There’s nothing there that clashes with it, and Dijon and beef go well together.

My only reservation is the usual one: prime rib roasts are a sizable investment in money, time, and socially. What does the forum think?

I like it...I'd think its more used as an adhesive for SPG than all out flavor - granted it will give a little flavor, but you are not going to taste mustard on the finished product.

When I've made beef wellington in the past, I've slathered the post seared tenderloin in dijon, then mushroom duxelles and roll that all up in prosciutto then puff.

Her recipe's are usually spot on so it's worth a try. If you have a big enough roast, you could always do half with and half without to test.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      You're thinking exactly what I'm thinking. There's going to be just a whisper of the Dijon, but it will be sublime and beautiful, and compliment the rosemary.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      I've slathered roasts in Dijon for years, only thing I find is some Dijon's are stronger than others and some are more vinegary.
      I found the more coarse the Dijon is the milder it is for roast beef.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I looked at the coarse, but bought the smooth.

I rub yellow mustard on my briskets for the same purpose, as well as pork butts. It’s a great way of helping the rub stick. I don’t know if the mustard flavor comes out with it or not. Would have to do a side by side comparison to determine that.

When I’ve done rib roasts, I think I always use olive oil, but this would work just as good.

I’d say go for it! And if Ina is doing it, you know it’s gonna be good! And yes, I love me some Ina! She is one of my favorite Food Network personalities! Love her shows and what she brings to help the view cook elegant, flavorful but easy meals!

Comment

+1 +1 In Ina we trust!

Comment

Yup, I slather mustard on my Wibs fer the same reason, to hold the rub. Been doin it fer bout 5 years. Got the idea from the Grand Pooh Bah hisself. Works fer me on a prime, yup.

Comment

I made one just yesterday, and used regular old olive oil (no virgin at all)... Worked fine and helped browning I think... Alton Brown recommendation...

They were selling Choice Rib Roasts at the same price as chuck roasts, so I indulged... Came out great. Even wife, who is not a big fan of rib roast, raved.
          Last edited by Potkettleblack; December 14, 2020, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I use whatever I have the most of as the binder for the rub. Mustard of any kind, olive oil, mayo, olive oil cooking spray (Pam), whatever. Always comes out great and no flavor variance detected from one to the other. Remember, you are applying a very thin coat of the binder. Just enough to make the rub stick.

Comment

Mayo works also.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                Editing a comment
                was gonna say I really like using mayo on long beef cooks, mustard is fine for ribs and stuff, but I feel (could be wrong) that mayo leads to crispy or thicker seasoning crust. There's a few tests on the old youtube but none of them are scientific.

• SheilaAnn
                SheilaAnn commented
                Editing a comment
                Off topic, but I put a schmear of mayo on burger buns before toasting.....

I use two slathers, Worcestershire sauce on beef, Italian dressing on pork, and fowl. Although Italian dressing works everything. Fish too. I only use a slather if needed. A slather is just another layer to block smoke. Just my opinion.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                "I use two slathers," Don't forget #3, you slather you stomach in PBR!

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                PBR u like too?
                Try Old Crow with PBR back.

Adam Perry Lang has a Rib Roast recipe that uses Dijon mustard as a base. I figure if both he and Ina like the idea, we can’t go wrong.

Comment

I typically slather regular mustard on top of ribeyes if I'm reheating in the oven. I'm not sure what Dad wants to put on top of the roast this Christmas. I like adding a little oil to the surface of my turkeys to help with browning.

Comment

Ina knows a lil bit about cooking

Comment

Dijon works great. I even sense that it's there after I cook whatever I put it on unlike plain yellow mustard.

BUT, for the absolute best result, whip up some egg whites (no yokes) and use that as a binder. The stuff is like super glue. Old chef's trick

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                      Potkettleblack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Very much this tip... you can stick nearly anything to a prime rib with egg whites...

Never tried it, but got to agree with everyone else. If Ina says it, I listen. Well at least when it comes to cooking....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here