Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket

This is my first try at a brisket! I picked up an 8 pound CAB brisket for $2.99/pound on sale. I used kosher salt to coat overnight in the frige. This morning I injected bone broth into the brisket and put the rub on.(Robert's Brisket Rub, https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/239515/roberts-brisket-rub/ ). I"m using The Meatstick wireless thermometer to monitor the internal temps of the brisket. The pellet grill is set for 230 degrees. Right now at 3:21 hours the internal temp is 166 and appears to be near the stall. I'll wrap in foil at 3:45 and see how it goes. I'm hoping it is a good cook. Details to follow. Nervous.
    Last edited by MarkB1; December 13, 2020, 08:39 AM.

Sounds like ya got this, though I can unnerstand yer apprehensiveness...briskies can be intimidatin, an yer first one is a Big Milestone...

Stand by yer guns, an finish th fight; ya done got this, amigo!

If'n ya find yerself in need of summat to do, besides pace back an forth, gnashin yer teeth, an tearin at yer hair, like a man outside a maternity ward, wail, then:

Take some pics, an post em up, fer th rest of us vicarious livin, rubber neckin, lookie-looin bystanders!!!

Comment

Sounds like fun!

Comment

Sounds to me like you've got it, too! Pics are what we all want around here!

Comment

Awesome, first brisket is exciting. If you have the extra time, Use the stall for everything it offers you, I might suggest wrapping after the stall, and then put it point side down. Either way, it will be awesome. Can’t wait to see photos.
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; December 13, 2020, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Here are some photos for now. More to come. The photos show 1. the uncooked bare brisket, 2. the brisket with the rub, 3. the brisket at 3:30 hours and 4. the brisket wrapped.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by MarkB1; December 13, 2020, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Lovin it, Big Daddy!

Keep em comin, Please!

Looking good! I might have gone another hour unwrapped to get that bark a little darker before covering it up with foil. I use butcher paper a lot now, so it doesn't soften the bark up as much as foil does.

Either way, I think you're in for a treat! What pellet grill are you using, what kind of pellets?

I have a Yoder YS480 that is down for repairs and an old old old Traeger BBQ124 I've been limping along with - looks almost identical inside to what you're using.

Comment

So far so good.
              A little PBR may help. Make that a Tall Boy.

Comment

Surprise! Reached 203 degrees on the Meatstick at 5:00 hours. I confirmed the temp with a Thermapen MK4 in several spots and found 203 degree to 205 degrees. Stopped the cook and put the brisket in a cooler for 2 hours. I'll remove it about 1:15 PM. Lots of juice in the foil that I'll save. I resealed the brisket in the foil after I took the photos.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by MarkB1; December 13, 2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks Great, done told ya, huh???

Hope ya gots a really fine-toothed blade fer yer Stihl...

Even if so, it's gonna git REALLY messy, all up in there!

I'm using a GMG Daniel Boone set at 230 degrees and Weber SmokeFire Grillmaster Blend pellets (maple, hickory, cherry)

Comment

See, there?
                  What'd I tell ya, Brother!

In th proverbial bag!

All ya gotta do, now, is endure th ever so agonizin wait to eat it...

We'll be sweatin out th minutes along with ya, waitin on some finished pics!

Congrats, Pitmaster!

Fine Job!

Comment

While I'm waiting, I'm checking videos on cutting the brisket. Easy but different from just cutting from one end to the other. I'll have more photos and a taste report. About 40 minutes to go.

Comment

• Mosca
                      Mosca commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Before cooking I always score the corner that I want to start slicing, because sometimes the roast is so black I can’t see the grain.

That first brisket is a huge milestone .... my first brisket was a disaster. I think yours is going to be much better.

Comment

• Mosca
                      Mosca commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mine was, too.

• Sweaty Paul
                      Sweaty Paul commented
                      Editing a comment
                      +1. Many lessons learned and much better since.

This cook looks good.
                      Last edited by Sweaty Paul; December 13, 2020, 08:25 PM. Reason: Misspelled ‘cook’ it autocorrected to cool

MarkB1 Aaron Franklin’s video on the brisket payoff is a great one. Talk about resting and slicing starts around 6:30 into the video. Great tutorial on slicing.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed! I use the Franklin slicing method too. This first brisket of yours is small and looked to be trimmed really lean, so I'm interested to see how it comes out. DON'T FORGET TO HAVE SOMEONE TAKE PICS WHILE YOU SLICE!!!!! WE WANT TO SEE IT!

Wow!! great looking brisket! I can't remember my first one(it must have been good).lol

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here