Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime rib advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have some great looking cooks there. I love the green pattern Corelle plate. That was the set we had growing up.

I second the link that lemayp shared above. You can't go wrong with those instructions.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Be sure to share how you did it!

Comment

Alright guys and gals I did a trial run with a 3# boneless rib roast. Smoked fir first 30 minute or so, then kept in Smoker with no wood until 120°. Now I know according to meat heads recipe I should’ve taken it off at 115°, but I didn’t listen. Seared all sides in a cast iron pan till it hit 139°. Sliced it up, tasted and was very bland in my opinion. No flavor to speak of, no smoke flavor like I like. The bark was crispy and had flavor, but not anything I would rave about. Salt brined for 18 hours, cow crust rub. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get more flavor? Maybe I’m just not a fan of an overpriced rib roast, idk.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          I assume 139 was your target temp? You can cook at a lower temp so it cooks more evenly, I like to cook at 200. If you want more smoke, give it more smoke. Maybe buy a better quality piece of meat?

HI All!
        Long time fan, first time commenting, also doing my first ever rib roast. Cooking on 26" Weber Kettle with Slow n' Sear 2-zone setup and Kingsford original briquettes. Removed bones and tied off for (hopefully) a better crust. Little nervous about the reverse sear, not a lot of experience with this.

How do you know your not overcooking the meat internally? Also any opinions on using sage and rosemary? Seems a lot of folks skip the herbage, wondering if its too overpowering. Thanks!! MERRY CHRSITMAS!
        Attached Files

Comment

• R_welder
          R_welder commented
          Editing a comment
          I took mine off at 120°, the next one I do tomorrow I’ll take off at 115°. Heat up a pan(I used cast iron) and sear all sides for approximately 5 minutes. I put the meat probe in the first side I seared so I could monitor the temp and not over cook. I finished it off at 140° or so. The reverse sear cooks it quickly which I was surprised.
          Things I will do differently for sure are :
          Add more smoke, find out a more flavorful seasoning and or inject it to achieve a more seasoned taste.

• R_welder
          R_welder commented
          Editing a comment
          It might just be me and I just don’t care for rib roast, I’m not sure. I’ll be making an au jus from the drippings to give it some flavor when serving, that might help achieve my goal. I like a real smoky flavor so I’ll be smoking it the entire time it’s in my smoker which was about 2.5 hours. It goes a lot quicker than I expected. The meat probe is a huge difference in cook, I used a thermpro tp-20s which has two probes and a range of 300’ for the controller. It’s made a huge difference in cook

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Thermometer is key here, IMHO. Not like when you are doing ribs or the like where "probe tender" is a rule of thumb. Follow the procedure found on the free side. It works!

Welcome to the Pit!
        Get a good digital thermometer. Jon Randazzo That is a big hunk o meat. Don't worry. Sear, flip, sear, flip. If the fire in the SnS starts getting too much. Put it on the cool side until it dies down. Just keep checking for your target temp. That is more important then a perfect sear. Good luck!

Comment

R_welder If you're looking for more smoke flavor, I don't feel like 30 minutes is much time exposed to smoke. I'd think you want at least a couple hours on the smoke. You said you brined. Do you feel like you got enough salt on it? That's a thick hunk of meat. You can be pretty generous with the salt. Your bark looks good. It seems surprising you weren't getting the flavor you wanted from that. Good luck with your next go-round. Let us know how it comes out.

Comment

She came out nice! How'd everyone do?? Thanks for the tips!!
            Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here