Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime rib advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime rib advice

Hey it’s my first time doing a prime rib and i
    would like some guidance/recipes if possible. I’ve been smoking just about anything for the past 2-3 years and still, Have a long way to
    go in my opinion, although my family and friends beg to differ. I want to try a prime rib and will do a trial run before the holidays.

my setup is a Masterbuilt electric smoker. Nothing fancy but works well for me so
    far. Thanks for any tips/tricks/recipes. I’ll add in some pics of previous cooks for fun.

Attached Files

Those are some really good looking cooks, I'd say you have that smoker mastered.
    When I do roasts of any kind I use Sucklebuster Texas 1836 dry rub for an over night dry brine.
    Then a beef dry rub before I put the meat on the grill.
    I smoke in the 270-300 range to an inside temp of no more than 130 for rare.
    I've never done a Prime rib so others more learned will chime in.

Comment

There's an article on here for that. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...er-beef-roasts . I followed that the first few times with great results. Lately I'm gravitating to a simpler pepper / garlic mix on the outside. I have a couple in the family that don't eat rare, so the two ends get removed when done and left on the grill while everything else is taken care of.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. We love Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow Crust on our Prime Rib. Other than that it looks like you’ve already got the cooking part down.

Comment

These guys are right ^
          by the looks of your cooks, you got this. My avatar is my first smoked ribbie many years ago. Simple salt and pepper over night in the back of the fridge. Tempered it while the grill was getting set up. Hovered around 275-285 until about 130. Let it rest for about 30-40 minutes. Didn’t get any sliced pictures but it was awesome! Yeah, I still remember because it was my first. 💕
          and welcome to the pit, R_welder

Comment

I’d say check out Mosca Rambling about Prime Rib for sure

Comment

I’ve done boneless prime rib many times. I keep it really simple. Dry brine over night with a lighter amount of salt. Then rub generously with Penzy’s Prime Rib Rub just before going on the smoker. It’s lower in salt so no conflict with the dry brine. Then smoke at 250 until desired internal temp. We like medium rare. Here’s a recent cook.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                SheilaAnn commented
                Editing a comment
                Never tried Penzeys rib rub. Love their Chicago Seasoning for burgers, though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8DB7A2BB-6AAE-4750-A470-CCB666F4C4DF.jpeg
Views:	459
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	954855 Oops! Forgot the pics. Click image for larger version

Name:	BCC3CECE-5705-4C2E-8899-36C9434D24EE.jpeg
Views:	453
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	954854

Comment

• jlazar
                jlazar commented
                Editing a comment
                What is the temp that you pull it? Looks great.

• Jfrosty27
                Jfrosty27 commented
                Editing a comment
                I pull it at about 128. Then tent under foul to rest for about 20 min or so. It will come up a few degrees while resting.

• jlazar
                jlazar commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks

My advice is to buy "prime" if possible for special occasions. Prime rib is a roast but "prime" prime rib is really special and more forgiving. You can overshoot temps a bit with a prime cut and the tenderness will not be effected.

Comment

• fkrall
                fkrall commented
                Editing a comment
                +1--I just did it! Bad weather, forced to use the oven, prime meat, 225, unexpected confusion and interruptions celebrating virtually, distracted, overcooked to 136.9 (133 target), but it still won raves. Prime saved the day!

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                fkrall - great job. My mom and I argued (we always do) about the differences between a rib roast and Prime Rib. It’s like politics. You will be blue in the face and there are no winners about definition. However everyone agrees - Prime will allow you to cook to perfection

Eye of prime rib from back in April

April 12, 2020, 08:37 PM
              This was outstanding!! Bought a whole boneless primal of prime ribeye from Costco about 20 lbs. Trimmed it up and got 6-2" rib eye steaks, 6 rib eye cap steaks about 3-1/2 " wide and what would amount to a 4 bone size prime eye of the rib eye roast. I had about 5 lbs. of waste, so not to happy about that.

Dry brined the roast with about a 1/4 tsp Kosher salt per lb., because I was going to add a rub that was also salty. I rubbed with Worcestershire sauce and then applied Oakridge BBQ Spogos as a base coat. Made a paste of Mrs. O'Leary's Rub (2 TBS, 1 TBS of a rub call Grunt and 3 TBS of water). Grunt has larger pieces of salt, garlic, black pepper and red pepper. Cooked on the PK360 @225 for about 2 hours until 125 IT, seared on the grill gates for about 1-1/2 minutes per all four sides. Made a mild mustard, horseradish sauce from Ina Garten.

Mustard Horseradish Sauce:
              • 1 1/2 cups good mayonnaise
              • 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
              • 1 1/2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
              • 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
              • 1/3 cup sour cream
              • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
              Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_590.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	144.1 KB ID:	954879Click image for larger version  Name:	Image 4-12-20 at 7.13 PM (3).jpg Views:	5 Size:	116.4 KB ID:	954877Click image for larger version  Name:	Image 4-12-20 at 7.13 PM (2).jpg Views:	5 Size:	142.1 KB ID:	954880Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_58e.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	138.8 KB ID:	954878

Last edited by wrgilb; December 12, 2020, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
                Oakgrovebacon commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks perfect!

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois! I have followed Meathead’s advice from the free side of Amazing Ribs and have had great success. A proven recipe and technique. I am in shopping mode for a rib primal for this year’s Christmas celebration at our house.

Comment

I will say this, it’s only a preference but I don’t smoke my rib roasts. They don’t need it. I have done probably 98% of my rib roasts indoors, in an electric oven. When I do them outside, I get clean smoke over lump charcoal and then cook, or I rotisserie them in a Weber kettle.

If you’re using an electric smoker, then just leave off the wood chips and use it like an outdoor electric oven.

Comment

Welcome from north Texas. I, too, have an electric smoker (Cookshack) but have never done a prime rib. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Welcome from Wisconsin. Glad you could join us!
                    I'll jump on the (short) bus with the rest of 'em. Keep it simple, and let the meat be the star.

Comment

Eye of prime rib from back in April

April 12, 2020, 08:37 PM
                      This was outstanding!! Bought a whole boneless primal of prime ribeye from Costco about 20 lbs. Trimmed it up and got 6-2" rib eye steaks, 6 rib eye cap steaks about 3-1/2 " wide and what would amount to a 4 bone size prime eye of the rib eye roast. I had about 5 lbs. of waste, so not to happy about that.

Dry brined the roast with about a 1/4 tsp Kosher salt per lb., because I was going to add a rub that was also salty. I rubbed with Worcestershire sauce and then applied Oakridge BBQ Spogos as a base coat. Made a paste of Mrs. O'Leary's Rub (2 TBS, 1 TBS of a rub call Grunt and 3 TBS of water). Grunt has larger pieces of salt, garlic, black pepper and red pepper. Cooked on the PK360 @225 for about 2 hours until 125 IT, seared on the grill gates for about 1-1/2 minutes per all four sides. Made a mild mustard, horseradish sauce from Ina Garten.

Mustard Horseradish Sauce:
                      • 1 1/2 cups good mayonnaise
                      • 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
                      • 1 1/2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
                      • 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
                      • 1/3 cup sour cream
                      • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Name:	fullsizeoutput_590.jpeg
Views:	397
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	956590Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 4-12-20 at 7.13 PM (3).jpg
Views:	510
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	956587Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 4-12-20 at 7.13 PM (2).jpg
Views:	406
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	956589Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_58e.jpeg
Views:	404
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	956588

Here's what the rib cap cook looks like.

Name:	Image 12-22-19 at 7.34 AM (3).jpg
Views:	397
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	956595Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 12-22-19 at 7.34 AM (2).jpg
Views:	410
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	956593Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 12-22-19 at 7.42 AM.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	956591Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_523.jpeg
Views:	394
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	956592Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_522.jpeg
Views:	413
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	956594

Comment

• bbqLuv
                        bbqLuv commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You Done Good.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here