Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overnight Brisket Question (5lbs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overnight Brisket Question (5lbs)

Wanted to tap into the expertise of the group. I have a 5 lb brisket (trimmed up, but good fat in it) ready to go. I originally planned to throw it on the smoker tomorrow morning, but wanted to see if the group had guidance on if I could throw it on tonight before I go to sleep.

If I throw it on at 11:00 pm at 195 degrees, will it be ok at 6:30/7:00 am the next morning for a wrapping in butcher paper? Or is it possible it will cook much faster and I'll need to get up earlier?

I've seen a lot of overnight directions for full packer briskets, but since this is smaller, wanted to see if anyone had any tips or guidance? Or is it better just to throw it on first thing in the morning and go from there.

My goal is to have it ready for dinner tomorrow night at 5:00 pm.

Thanks all!

I did about the same weight of brisket flat last Sunday, dry brined it overnight and had it on the grill by 9am.
    I smoked mine in the 280-310 range, by 3pm had an inside temp of 195 so pulled it and let it rest for 2 hours.
    I really should have let it go to 203, the flat was so lean the meat did not break down as I would have liked.
    Still really good though.
    Next time I'd try to have it on by 8am for the extra cook time.

Comment

• Baltimorelger
      Baltimorelger commented
      Editing a comment
      That's my guess, though it has a lot more fat on it than most flats I've seen in the stores.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      bbqLuv Yes it was a flat and no I did not wrap

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      TX for reply

Cooking on a pellet pooper? Not sure anything else can hold 195 overnight without attention unless it is your indoor oven in which case you might be in the wrong forum. Also if dinner is at 5 pm you should be able to put a 5lb er on at 6 am

Comment

• Baltimorelger
      Baltimorelger commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha. Yeah I have a Grilla OG that I've been breaking in. I sold it to my wife as my "week day" smoker and that my PBC and Weber Kettle were for weekends. Figured I'd test it out with a brisket for Hanukkah.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree, 6am would be the better option, but holey cow that's early.
      My Keg would have to be lit by 5am to get coals by 6, just thinking about it....I wouldn't do well.

• Baltimorelger
      Baltimorelger commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a 8 month old, so our house is all too familiar with 6:00 am. If I didn't overnight it, figured he'd be getting me up so might as well take advantage.

Yeah, I would start at 6am at 225 and you should be good for 5pm, and be able to rest for a 1-2 hours. Could go at 250 or 275 if you wish but maybe just bump up temp if needed.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here