Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strip Steak, From Freezer to Kettle w/SnS, So what do You Think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strip Steak, From Freezer to Kettle w/SnS, So what do You Think?

Well, I was trying to decide what to have for dinner so went to the deep freezer and seen the Omaha steaks that I received as a gift but never think in advance to thaw. So pulled the strip steaks out and fired up a half a chimney of KB and slathered with butter to hold some seasoning. The butter hardened as soon as I swiped it on.so next time may mix seasoning with butter first.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2191.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	95045 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2193.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	95046
    Dumped the coals in the SnS with vents wide open and let it get rippen hot then threw them on for a sear for 2-4 min. per side flipping to each side twice with lid off. Wasn't sure since i was winging it but think I could of seared longer. they were thawed enough to stick a probe in Then I shut the bottom vent off and slid the steaks to the indirect side dropped the lid on with top vent open till they hit 135.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2194.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	95048 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2195.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	95047
    I never had theses steaks before and didn't know what to expect but overall I think it turned out great, they were juicy and looked pretty even to me. Although I am color blind, Lol. and Dont know what I would do with out a thermometer.
    . Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2198.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	95051 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2200.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	95049 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2201.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	95050
    Last edited by Powersmoke_80; July 5, 2015, 07:39 PM.

Looks great from here!

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
      Looks great from here!

Ditto!!!!!!! I have some 8 ounce tri-tip steaks that will go straight from the freezer as well. May do one tomorrow.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard, do you season your steaks prior to freezing? or how do you season them?These were frozen prepackaged so tried the butter,next time maybe oil to hold the BBR

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Powersmoke_80

I dry brine, then rub immediately before packaging for the freezer. I had 4, now three, all with different rubs. BUSY day today after work, grass cutting tomorrow after work, church Wednesday, got some briskets and a butt to cook Thursday so maybe I can cook while I finish that stuff off.

Dude Your on FIRE This weekend! Looks awesome!

Comment

Nice cook Dude... I've never even thought about going straight from the freezer to the grill. Novel concept. I wonder how that would go with the reverse sear method?

Comment

NICE!!!

If it tasted as good as it looks, you ate VERY well!

Comment

Originally posted by Wartface View Post
          Nice cook Dude... . I wonder how that would go with the reverse sear method?
          I'm wondering the same thing.

How long did it take to sear and cook those frozen steaks, Powersmoke_80 ? They look delicious!

Kathryn

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
            Powersmoke_80 commented
            Editing a comment
            Breadhead, fzxdoc
            Kathryn, I think about 30min total.
            By searing first I think it kept from over cooking from the outside in. The cold center allowed it to sear only the outer surface. Also couldn't get a probe in frozen by searing first it drew the cold out enough so the middle wasn't raw and out side over done.
            I think there was a video by CI that pan seared a frozen steak in oil first then put in a 175 deg oven.

Looks great to me, I love being able to cook things from frozen.

Comment

Thanks, Powersmoke_80 , for the additional info. Your rationale makes perfect sense. And the results speak for themselves!

Kathryn

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
              Powersmoke_80 commented
              Editing a comment
              Kathryn,I was very happy how they turned out and will do it again this way,maybe let the coals get a little hotter for the sear but they were very tender and juicy!
              Dean

Looks like you did an awesome job. Delicious too! Powersmoke_80, were the steaks about 3/4" thick?

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
              Powersmoke_80 commented
              Editing a comment
              yeah, I would say about that, they were the Omaha Strip Steaks. I received a box of a variety of steaks and that was the reason I was looking at getting a Kettle, then seen the Slow-n-Sear and that sealed the deal.
              P.s. I like your new Avitar

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. I have got to buy some steaks. I haven't cooked any in 2015...been all boston butts, chicken, ribs, and pork loin.

Those steaks look pretty darn good. For next time I recommend using oil, clarified butter, or ghee. Regular butter has water in it and will actually inhibit the sear. Regardless, those are great looking steaks!

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
              Powersmoke_80 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Pit Boss, That sounds like exactly what happened.I kept peeking so it didn't burn and It wasn't searing as fast as I thought it should. Will do next time.

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds good. Be sure to pat the meat dry with a paper towel before you apply the oil, clarified butter, or ghee.

This and other tips are in Meathead's "better than steakhouse steaks" article.

You are a genius! To reverse sear frozen steaks on a kettle would take a lot longer. Searing them first will defrost them a lot quicker and cooking them to internal temps on indirect finishes them of nicely. My frozen steaks are always vac sealed and i drop them into a sous vide bath for 2 hours before reverse searing. Water conducts heat a lot better than air so i would hate to think how long it would take for a frozen steak to reach internal temp on a kettle indirect. Yours were done in 30 min's. That's how long it takes me to reverse sear fresh steaks in my kettle. Thank you - now i know i can cook frozen steaks on my kettle with SnS with great results ... just have to reverse the reverse sear

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here