Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Question

I'm doing a 16 lb brisket on Saturday. My question is about the dry brine. After I apply it, I put it in the fridge for 24+ hours. In the past I've never covered it, but I find that the outside dries out completely. Does it hurt to lightly cover it with a plastic wrap?

Not at all. I usually wrap in wrap and foil. Some say it takes more rub off but I haven’t noticed and I usually add more rub if any spots look a bit light before smoking it.

Comment

I haven't experienced any differences with wrapping or not when dry brining.

I ended up buying some luggers (big plastic food prep containers) to leave meat in while brining. They also work well when applying rub.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Meat Lugs.

I believe it was Jerod Broussard who said "If it has skin, you can leave it uncovered. No skin, cover it up." This is what we adhere to.

Comment

• UncleSpike
        UncleSpike commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, thanks. That is what I'll do.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        UncleSpike yeah, the surfaces of the brisket and skinless wonders get a little too dessicated for my taste. I touch up the skin creatures with oily spray before applying the granular stuff.

Wrap in plastic after dry brine.
      Unwrap before cooking,
      sip PBR during cooking and mop with Old Crow mop sauce.

Comment

Not all fridges are equal so I advise using the methods that your experience dictates. In your case, as advised above, I would wrap. Newer fridges do seem to be dryer inside.

My fridges are all antique - the newest is 1954. They seem to have a moister environment than newer fridges and I haven't had trouble with meat drying out - I've dry brined pork butts and briskets for 48 hours. I even dry brined a 2" ribeye for 48 hours with no problem. Slightly dry surface but no tough skin when cooked and it was very good!

Comment

I never cover while dry brining. I'm thinking the new vs. old fridge may be true. Mine is an older fridge (not 1954 old though !) and after a 24 hour dry brine the meat comes out "glistening" and not dried out.

Comment

I wrap out of a perhaps misplaced sense of caution. I just dont like raw meat touching other surfaces I can't (or don't) routinely clean like maybe the side or bottom of a shelf above the meat in question. I use Saran wrap having had a "lasagna battery" experience once.

Comment

When I dry brine beef I have never covered it in the fridge whether it is a rib roast or a steak but I do put it in a rack to raise it off the platter so air can get all around it and have never had any issues.

Comment

If just salt, I wrap tightly in plastic wrap. If rub is applied (such as pastrami) I leave uncovered so the rub barks up some. For regular brisket it gets the S as it and plastic treatment, then the salt free rub goes on just before the pit.

Comment

Thanks for the responses! Everything turned out great!
                  Attached Files

Comment

I changed my brisket method after reading Aaron Franklin’s book a few years ago. Brisket is now the only cut I do NOT dry brine.

Brisket gets trimmed, covered with 50/50 mix of coarse kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper, and it immediately goes in the pit.

Comes out perfect every time!

Comment

• bbqLuv
                    bbqLuv commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interesting, AAron's videos follow that as well.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here