Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do with trimmed beef fat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you do with trimmed beef fat?

Like from brisket, or in this case a strip loin?

I've always thrown it away, but the last time, last week, I figured I'd ask here, so I tossed it in a ziplock and threw it in the freezer, then forgot to ask.

So I'm asking now: is there any use for it?

Save it to add to a pot of beans.....or add it to your pot to make a beef broth. Render the fat and add it to your oil for frying.
    Last edited by Panhead John; November 25, 2020, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Get a lot of it saved up and render it in a slow cooker. Pour it into a quart jar and put it in the refrigerator. Cook with it, especially if you are making anything with beef or potatoes.

Comment

Render it or, if you grind your own burger mix, save it for use there if your meat selection looks a little low in fat content.

Comment

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
          Render it or, if you grind your own burger mix, save it for use there if your meat selection looks a little low in fat content.
          Do you ever freeze it to grind and use in burgers?

Comment

• mnavarre
            mnavarre commented
            Editing a comment
            I've got a gallon ziplock bag in the freezer just for this.

Render the fat and make French fries or compliment a lean grind.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Or a savory pie crust

• RustyHaines
            RustyHaines commented
            Editing a comment
            Now we're talkin' ! Makes the best pie crust ever IMHO. With all the fat cutting out of our diets we are all doing there are just times when you need to indulge.

Originally posted by DavidNorcross View Post

Do you ever freeze it to grind and use in burgers?
          Yep

Comment

Like others have said: either grind it and use when making burger patties (70/30 meat to fat ratio), or render it down to make your own beef tallow. Very easy, and oh so tasty!

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              I wash tallow about 3 times and make my own moisturizer.

Make tallow since we use chuck roll/clod with prime rib for our burgers.

Comment

If you havve an offset cooker and the firebox is rusty melt the fat over the firebox each time you use it. It will form a hard carbon cap that lasts better than any paint.
              Or I also use fat for starting the fire on the parrilla.

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                +100

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here