Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket ever and with the Slow-n-Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket ever and with the Slow-n-Sear

My first attempt ever at brisket and with 22.5 Weber Kettle, SnS, Kingsford Blue and cherry chunks. Started with a 10 lb Prime Brisket from Costco and did a Dry brine 2 days ago then dry rubbed with black pepper and BBR this morning at 12:30 am. The SnS is holding Rock steady at about 225 at 1:30 , alarms are set on the Igrill so time for some shut eye with fingers crossed.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2131.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	94494 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2153.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	94492 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2155.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	94493 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2156.PNG
Views:	144
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	94490 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2159.PNG
Views:	163
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	94495
    Attached Files

Nice!!

Comment

Slept like a baby and the SnS Rocked it All Night Long! I took screen shots of the Iphone graph at 1hr intervals (not downloaded in order)this morning at 6:30.

Name:	IMG_2165.PNG
Views:	156
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	94516 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2164.PNG
Views:	130
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	94517 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2166.PNG
Views:	139
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	94518 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2168.PNG
Views:	145
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	94519 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2169.PNG
Views:	128
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	94520 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2167.PNG
Views:	160
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	94521 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2170.PNG
Views:	156
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	94523 Last graph pic is of opening the lid for this picture.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2162.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	94524 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2172.PNG
Views:	154
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	94526
      Attached Files

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Jon Solberg , I thought of a good reason to get to hook up with you and Huskee sometime if you guys are interested. To split a case of Brisket, My sister can get case prices of Prime Brisket at Costco for I think $3.29/lb with cases running about 70 Lbs and she would drop off to me on there way up to the cabin at Hubbard Lake. Although it will cost me some slices vacuum packed for her Lol. They go up north on a regular basis and I deer hunt up there. Win Win!!
          Last edited by Powersmoke_80; July 4, 2015, 07:58 AM.

Looks great, congrats! How's the range on the iGrill? Is it Bluetooth or wi-fi?

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          billg71, It is Bluetooth and the range is not very good IMO, my grill is out side my back door and it will lose connection once i get past the kitchen and into the living room.
          good thing my bedroom is on the same side. Lol!
          I do like the graph option as you can scroll back and look at the entire cook if you don't lose connection.
          Last edited by Powersmoke_80; July 4, 2015, 06:37 AM.

• billg71
          billg71 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Our house is a little less than 60' long and the Maverick won't pick up in my office at the opposite end through 4 walls. Bluetooth would definitely be a no-go.

Wish someone would make one of these that uses wi-fi! I guess the battery would be the limiting factor, though.

Wow that's impressive, Powersmoke_80 . Thanks for taking screen shots of the temp curves. Rock solid is the perfect description for that kettle temp during the cook.

Let us know how that tasty-looking brisket turns out.

Kathryn

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Kathryn, I do like the graph option as you can scroll back and look at the entire cook if you don't lose connection to see how she ran. With the alarms set for any malfunctions I slept well and hope to eat good.

Gotta love sleep when a big hunk of meat is getting smoked.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          True that.

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have to thank David Parrish for that, the SnS is awesome especially for a newbie with charcoal.

Went to Wrap at 183 but when I re positioned the probe more in the flat it was 167. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2173.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	94647 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2174.PNG
Views:	150
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	94648 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2179.PNG
Views:	159
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	94649

Pulled at 204 deg. about 1:20pm and probed like butter,so in the faux cambro it goes for a rest. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2178.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	94650

Comment

• barney
          barney commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks wonderful Powersmoke_80 ! About how long did your SnS run before you had to add charcoal ?

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          barney, I added charcoal at the wrap so approximately 10 hours when I slid the hot ones to the corner and added about a 1/3 more. I think i could have waited because it spiked up to about 175 and I had to choke it down for a bit. Not sure if I should of waited til temps were dropping to add.

Everything looks great. I love those Prime briskets from Costco. I picked one up on Thursday myself. I gonna do that beast on Friday night for a co-worker to serve on Saturday. I love doing those overnight cooks. No that I have the confidence to actually get some sleep while the BRIZ is ripping on the smoker. Nice Post.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Spinaker, I do too now! We only have Sams by me and they only have choice flats at twice the price. But my sister lives an hour and a half south and they have Costco around them.
          She is gonna get tired of supplying me with brisket Lol, unless I keep her interested with sampling a like this.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Ive got a Costco about 10 mins from my house so I'm lucky!! IT seems to me that in the winter the prices fall even more. I bought a few last January for $2.89/lb I'll take that any day. So tell your sister to keep an eye open during the winter months. These prices may only be that low in the winter because I'm in Minnesota and most people shut down their smokers in the winter. (Not me of course) Powersmoke_80

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Spinaker, I will tell her as I'm in Michigan so it may hold true here as well in the winter. I am currently building an 80 gallon tank stick burner that's going to have a double wall fire box with 2" ceramic blanket insulation so I can cook all winter long.

I didn't realize whole packer Prime briskets pooped out peppers whilst you smoke 'em. Need to remember that.....

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          LMAO! I had a small bag so I decided to throw them on at the wrap to dry for taco seasoning.

OMG! I am so stoked how this turned out.
        My parents and family were totally impressed. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_10791.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	94735 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_10790.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	94734 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_10792.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	94736 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_10788.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	94732
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Powersmoke_80; July 4, 2015, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks awesome! You did it!

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks unreal!!! Great Job man! I love a Briz that has great pull like that. it also looks like you killed it int he moisture department. Great Work!!!!!

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          Great work

GREAT job, indeed, Powersmoke_80 !!!

Comment

Meathead David Parrish A Great Big Thank you to Meathead for all the information and passion you put into this site. And Pit Boss for the expert flawless information on settings and use of your Slow-n-Sear and for making this one of my best cooks to date, I could not ask for any thing better!
          Last edited by Powersmoke_80; July 4, 2015, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Well deserved!

Name:	award.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	94802
            Attached Files

Comment

Powersmoke_80 feel free to head to www.ABCbarbecue.com if/when you have time and upload some of those pics to the Disqus comments, the kettle shot and sliced shots would look great there! I think you are the first person to do a whole packer on the kettle w/ SnS. When Dave gets back from his awayness he will be loving this.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here