Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A tale of two steaks for sale.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A tale of two steaks for sale.

I know that it's not just marbling. There are a lot of things that contribute to a great tasting steak. But we can see marbling and color when we are shopping.

All that said, I present to you:

1) "Wagyu". Now, I kinda know Wagyu. And, I dunno about this, but here you go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201122_105938.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	943665

And right next to it, Angus:

Name:	20201122_105930.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	943666

Now, I'm not in the market, having just butchered a whole loin from Creekstone. But I'm picking the Angus. Those are damn fine looking steaks. If the "Wagyu" was 24/lb, I'd still probably pick the Angus.

What store was that in? $23.99 lb. for Angus strip!?! I would expect maybe $15. or so, but not $24. But....I’m in Texas. And just by looks, agree, I think the Angus looks just as good, marbling wise.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Texas has way better beef prices. MOsca looks to be in PA and in Seattle that price wouldn't be amiss. A bit high, but not completely out of line.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      God blessed Texas.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I'm in The Pononos. And beef is high here, so much so that online meat is reasonable by comparison. The good thing about Wegman's is that the quality is there, if you know what to look for. I just think the meat manager needs to pass when that is offered as A5. Call it American Wagyu BMS 6, whatever. See below for what they sometimes get.

If that's A5 that was either an ooooooooooold cow, or the Wagyu bull daddy had 1/32 of 1/64 Wagyu blood and was named A10 and all his offspring is just labeled A5 since pops only gave half of the genetic material.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      ^^^
      This. No way in hell that is A5.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      A5 my foot! No way! What rickgregory said. I used to sell A5 at my old job.

Yeah, that's not A5. THIS is A5: Click image for larger version

Name:	Kago_6092.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	943691 https://www.crowdcow.com/products/ja...m%5D=ivohgztam

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh there it is! I had to blow up the pic.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John Let me 'splain it for you: The marbling is the meat. Wagyu cows start out fat but add meat as they get older.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve ragged on them a couple times for this, and for labeling t-bones as porterhouses. The guys cutting it don’t have a lot to say about the labeling. It’s really out of character for Wegman’s.

I have dry aged wagyu, dry aged prime, and dry aged CAB choice ribeyes in the freezer at all times now. I reach for the Prime 4 out of 5 times. I think it tastes beefier, and prefer the bit of chew. Prime is where it's at IMO. The wagyu os mainly reserved for guests or my wife. I'd still go Angus.(I may be biased, that's what we have out on the ranch....)

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. There's nothing like that iron-y taste of a great strip loin. Give me that bite and chew full of heme.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      As we sez out here in Kansas Territory, "There's No Place Like Angus!" LOL

Some one definitely messed up labeling that A5, the price is too low for A5 as well. That beef is most likely American wagyu.

Comment

The only kudos I give to American Wagyu has to do mainly with the fat. Most American Wagyu (versus true Japanese A5) is bread more for the American palette. Eight to ten ounces of A5 is not only outrageously expensive, it's difficult to eat all at once. We Americans are programmed to eat a larger portion so the Wagyu/Angus mix gives us the best of both worlds.

The other advantage to Wagyu over Angus (prime or otherwise) is the fat itself. It's a monounsaturated fat. Your body deals with it the same way it does an avocado or some salmon. It's simply a healthier choice.

But given the hype and the price, I too defer most often to a good old Angus prime cowboy steaks. Got 3 of those babies salt brining as we speak for tonight's grill. And a about $13/pound from my local HEB, I'm satisfied !!!

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        God blessed Texas with HEB. Best grocery store, hands down!

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        HEB FTW!

These are free for the digging...

Name:	img-grub-control.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	943772

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        🤣🦠🦠

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Wagyu Fetus. I could be wrong.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        I spent every other day last week cleaning up dog accidents thanks to these little turds. Hundreds decided to all surface and die and the birds couldn't be bothered to help so the dogs had a grub buffet. I HATE grubs!

Just so everyone knows, sometimes the A5 Wagyu looks like this:

Name:	20201027_115757.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	943816

You just never know.

Comment

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, that’s a really good price for A5! Most online retailers are 3-4 times that much.

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Now that looks like A5, and $60/lb! I nominate Mosca to be our contact in PA for cheap A5 wagyu, I'll take three of the ones you just posted, I'll pay via paypal and send shipping info by PM (just kidding).

Originally posted by 58limited
      Now that looks like A5, and $60/lb! I nominate Mosca to be our contact in PA for cheap A5 wagyu, I'll take three of the ones you just posted, I'll pay via paypal and send shipping info by PM (just kidding).
      It’s even better when they age it, and then lower the price.

Name:	E323D4F8-F63B-459F-994E-98F02A464532.jpeg
Views:	400
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	943941

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Mosca This is borderline stalking!
        Last edited by Panhead John; November 23, 2020, 06:57 PM.

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Love the "Reduced for Quick Sale" steaks. I buy RQS steaks probably 99% of the time. And the best thing about RQS steaks is that they are usually the good, high end steaks that nobody wants to buy. I get Prime strips and ribeyes all the time for about $10/lb. So I'll P/U a Prime 12 oz. NY Stripe for under $10. Cha-ching....

Prime rib-eye or strips run about 15 to16 dallors a lb in my neiborhood. Never had wagyu, cannot picture myself paying $60 a lb for fat. Do not see the attraction. does not even look good. Where's the beef?

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Show me the meat!

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m am thinking along the same lines as you. I like a well marbled steak, but also like to have some meat, not all fat...

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        randy56 to your point, this cut is sliced out English style and you seriously can only eat 2-3 slices, it’s so rich. This is not the kind of cut for just one person. Something like this is for 4-6 people.

IMO I would pass on both at those prices. I've seen a lot of prime beef the past couple weeks going for 1/3 of the price it was a month ago. I picked up a whole prime NY Strip for 8.99 lb.
      I'm guessing there's a surplus of meat right now, everyone was sending their beef to market trying to get top dollar for it. Plus maybe it's the time time of year everyone is buying hams and turkeys and not beef so the prices are lowering? Whatever the case I'm hoping the trend keep going and prices get back to where they were last season.

Comment

SheilaAnn I was kinda hopeing someone would try and convence non belivers. Just looks like a mouthful of fat to me. But I did not think I would like Lobster untill I tryed it years ago.

Comment

I live in the hometown of Wegmans - Rochester NY. I have been fortunate to be shopping there for 30+ years. Great customer service - even back then.
          My recommendation, if you see A5 looking like that again - go see the store manager. My experience is that they will make it right -- likely re-label it ;-)
          BTW, Choice Black Angus Strips are locally running $22.99/lb. No Wagyu available...

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            It's that, and calling t-bones porterhouses, that irks me.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here