Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Burnt Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Burnt Ends

Bought a whole brisket and trimmed off the point. I'm looking to make burnt ends with the point. I would appreciate any input or ideas. I will be cooking on a WSM. I've made plenty of briskets but never attempted burnt ends.

I would say something but I'm from Indiana and someone from Kansas or Texas needs to respond to this for you :-) I think someone will be along soon. Good luck with your cook!

Comment

This probably doesn't help you, but just keeping it real...

For myself and the gang of folks who I regularly serve brisket to, just smoking the brisket is preferred over trying to create burnt ends. As you probably know already, burnt end were originally just the ends of the brisket that got burnt - not something created on purpose. I've tried "doing burnt ends," and I'm past that now. I just cook the brisket, and if the ends burn, so be it.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
        mrteddyprincess commented
        Editing a comment
        This is the direction I was going. I agree. Original burnt ends were parts of the brisket at the edges of a smoked brisket. Competition BBQ came up with the idea of cubing the point after it is smoked and putting it back on the smoker with sauce to set the sauce and serve cubes of brisket to guests. People cube pork belly in a similar fashion, smoke it, and call those burnt ends as well. My preference on a brisket is to rub it, smoke it, slice it, and eat it! :-)

I smoked my first brisket a couple of weeks ago in my PBC. I separated flat and point and mostly followed Matt Pittmans technique here https://blog.thermoworks.com/beef/te...et-burnt-ends/

I used BBBR on the brisket, cooked until about 195F. Cut the point into 1 inch cubes, added a bit more rub and some KC style sauce (sweet baby rays), and put it back on the smoker until the sauce thickened (about an hour). The result was excellent.
      Attached Files

Comment

• BBQPaddy
        BBQPaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        That's very similar to what I did. I thought they turned out pretty good. My wife loved them. Thanks.

BBQ brisket burnt ends, just as good as pork belly burnt ends.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Goes great with a nice cold PBR!

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        You got that right! PBR and burnt ends.

I usually make burnt ends from the point, so I'll share with you how I do it. Don't confuse this with the "best" or "right" way. It's just how I do it.

First off, I don't separate the point and flat for the initial cook. You can if you choose, but I just trim things up, give everything a good layer of rub, and on the smoker they go. Once both the point and flat are probe tender and wonderful to eat as is, then the two get split apart with the flat getting sliced for serving, while the point gets cubed up into roughly one inch square pieces. After cubing, the pieces go into a foil pan and are then covered and tossed with BBQ sauce. I prefer Stubbs Sweet Heat for burnt ends, but that's just me. You should go with what you like. Now it's time for a second trip to the smoker. since the point is already cooked and tender, and what you are really doing in this step is caramelizing the sauce. I run a higher temp than I did for the initial cook. I usually run brisket at 250F, and the burnt ends go closer to 300F. You can also use this step to add a little smoke to the sauce by using a few small pieces of the wood of your choice. I usually don't bother, but that doesn't make me right. How long this step takes is going to depend a lot on what sauce you use. The higher the sugar content the faster it is going hit that gooey finger sticking stage that I like in my burnt ends. For me it is usually 45 minuets to an hour for thing to get where I like them. One thing that is sure to happen is that the cubes are going to render out a fair bit of fat during this second phase of cooking. How I handle this is once they are cooked sticky how I like them is, the meat gets scooped out with a slotted spoon, the fat, juice, and sauce left in the bottom if the pan go into a fat separator. Once things have settled out, the sauce/juice gets poured back over the burnt ends, and the fat goes out to the fire pit.

The question of "is it worth it?" is completely up to you. I think it is, but again, that's just me.

Comment

• BBQPaddy
        BBQPaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the input. I will definitely be using some of your ideas on my next burnt ends cook.

Here's Meathead 's method, excerpted from his Texas Brisket article over on the free side:
      Here's my technique, strictly illegal in BBQ competitions, but very welcome in my family. In a frying pan, render about 1/4 pound of the beef fat that you trimmed from the brisket. Or cheat and use bacon fat or duck fat. You can do this over hot coals. Cut the brisket point into 1/2" to 3/4" cubes. Set aside any pieces that are too fatty or just eat them. Put the cubes in the pan and gently fry the cubes until they are crunchy on the outside, turning them a few times. Drain the fat and add about 1/4 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce and 1/4 cup of the drippings from the foil used for the Texas Crutch. Put the pan back on the cooker in a hot spot and close the lid. Stir every 5 minutes or so. Let the cubes absorb most of the liquid and start to sizzle, but don't let them burn. When they're done, keep them warm in the faux cambro with the flat.

This method works great for me.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here