Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me with mystery meat!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me with mystery meat!!!

Meet my meat.
    I get regular orders from ButcherBox, which sends a certain number of servings of beef, but doesn't let me choose what cuts. Typically, I open each package, put a rub or marinade on it, and then put it in a dehydrator bag. I usually label the bag with the cut of meat and date, and put it in the deep freeze.

Here's the twist: I forgot to label this cut.

It's about 3lbs., with a fair amount of fat on it. At its longest point, it's about 6"x4", although it's sort of wedge-shaped, and is about 5" thick. I clearly put some sort of rub on it.

So what is it? Beef shoulder? Ribeye roast? I have no clue, and therefore no idea how to cook it. I only know it is definitely beef (we don't eat pork), and it is a large and thick cut.

If any sharp-eyed folk can identify this cut, that would be ideal. If not, some advice on how to cook mystery meat would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

I can’t tell, but providing pics outside of the bag will help with possible identification.

Comment

Kinda looks like a rump roast. Either way it's hunk o' beef that you generally do low n' slow.

Comment

Can you call ButcherBox and ask for a listing of your orders going back 6 or 8 or however many months?

I vote for rump roast, too, but that is just guessing.

Comment

As requested, here are pics without the bag. Still frozen, of course.
          Attached Files

Comment

I.....think.........its..............meat!

Comment

That’s a rump roast. I have one at home that looks exactly the same.

Comment

Sounds like the rumps have it!
                I will cook it like it's a rump roast, and let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the help!

Comment

eye of the round?

Comment

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Could be. That’s pretty much the same as rump roast for how to deal with it. It’s a tough bird if you don’t cook it slow and slice it thin across the grain.

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was going to say just a round roast of some kind.
                    Cover it in gravy and tell em to eat up, people are starving all over the world....
                    Last edited by smokin fool; November 19, 2020, 08:38 PM.

Looks to be a medium rare roast soon.
                  I got an idea, cube it up and make burnt ends. Sweet little morsels of goodness. No matter what cut it is.

Comment

So, if you have no idea how you're going to cook it in the future, why season it before freezing. Except for salt, flavor compound don't permeate tissue more than a millimeter or two. And being frozen, you will prevent salt from diffusing into the meat.

Comment

So, here's the update...

I'm not saying I didn't trust you guys, but I was terrified of spending 12 hours at a smoker, only to have the thing fall apart because it wasn't the cut of meat we thought it was.

So I compromised. I put it in the Instant Pot, and pressure cooked it for two hours. I figured it you were right, that would make it an edible rump roast. If not, well, Chipotle is just down the block.

In the end, it was...fine. Far from the best roast I've ever cooked, but not the worst. It was perfectly tender, and it fed my hungry family. Had I actually put it on the smoker after thawing it and so forth, it probably would have been excellent. I'd say the diagnosis of rump roast was spot on. Well done!

I really appreciate all the help!

PS, Bkhuna, the cuts arrive already frozen from ButcherBox. I just add the rub before sealing them up and putting them in the deep freeze. When I'm not dealing with mystery meat, it works just fine. I thaw the meat for a couple days in the fridge. Since they're already seasoned, it does its job before I put it in the smoker or the sous vide.

Comment

Here's the finished roast.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here