Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri-tip roast or steaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My grocery store always has tri tip steaks and usually has tri tip roasts. They’ll always bring you one out of you ask. I definitely prefer the roast, but the steaks are still really good.
    Last edited by Red Man; November 12, 2020, 10:50 PM.

Comment

We have beef farms all around us and loads of places to process meat. I have not found tri-tip anything in our area. Always have to order it. Never had a tri-tip steak but love the roasts. Excellent cut of meat so I would imagine the steaks would be great.

Comment

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        Odd how it can vary so much. When I visit family in Florida I can't find it anywhere.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe the cut originated in California and hasn't migrated far. I would be curious to know what other cuts contain some of the same meat that is the tri-tip?

Whole for me. Got 4 in the freezer. I can always cut my own steaks if needed. Also I never buy Prime. I found that there is relatively no difference between a TT Prime and a TT Choice. At least to my feeble taste buds and I eat a lot of TT.

Comment

Gotta be a roast. Hell, if every "steak" I cooked could be the thickness of a "roast" I'd much prefer that!

Comment

If you like tri-tips, you'll love whole top sirloins.
          A whole cap on top sirlion has 2 parts. The cap is the part that has the outside fat on it. You can separate the two by a natural seam between them. Just pulling and slicing along the seam. When you trim up the cap, you get a piece that's similar in size and shape of a tri-tip (bottom sirloin) and you cook the same way as a tri-tip. Or slice into steaks (picanha) I think it is more flavorful than the tri-tip, also at our Costo you used to be able to get whole crayovaced USDA Choice or Prime top sirloins cap on, but no more. The crayovaced top sirloins that they sell are now cap off. I can still get whole top sirloin cap on from some of our local butcher shops, but the price has gone up because of the popularity of the sirloin cap around here.
          The next question is what to do with the rest of the top sirloin? I slice both ends to square up the piece and trim this meat for stroggie, fajitas or stir fry. Then, depending on the size of the piece, I'll cut 2 or 3 pieces about 3" thick for roasts and cook these the same way as a tri-tip (called top block in Santa Maria) I'll also get 1 or 2 steaks about 1 to 1-1/4" thick.
          Cook the top sirloin roasts with some SusieQ Santa Maria Rub, DP Cowlick, Raising the Steaks or Red Eye Express, BBBR or Oakridge BBQs Spogos. If you can get some red oak chunks, use it and you'll never use anything else on these again.

Comment

For me, as of late, nothing is better than Chimichurri and a big and bold Tri-Tip. That herby oil and sirloin juice running down your chin is divine.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8660.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	939749
            Last edited by Spinaker; November 14, 2020, 02:23 PM.

Comment

My daughter came over for a tri-tip dinner I cooked, and she brought the ingredients to make chimichurri. Wonderful topping!

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I have an idea for a chimichurri that I will do.

Now I'm going to have to do a chimichurri with one of those tri-tips.

Comment

• mnavarre
                mnavarre commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah you are.

Whole tri-tip for me on me pellet grill.

Comment

From the cryovac I just bought (whic was four 2+ lb roasts, one became steaks, 3 I left as roasts and some trimmings became stew meat. Froze most but made some steaks for last night's dinner, cooked SV then seared and served with mashed cauliflower.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tt-steak-caul4.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	940259

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here