Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to replicate Peter Luger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to replicate Peter Luger

For the 4th of July, I want to try and make a porterhouse a la Peter Luger. I found this great link which describes the method. Here is the key phrase:

"The broiler line is also extremely hot, with eight broilers running at over 800 degrees. Here's what they do: The porterhouse is placed directly onto the broiler, and then seasoned only with salt. The steak is flipped once during the broiling process."

Welcome to Eater Elements, a series that explores the ideas and ingredients of noteworthy restaurant dishes

So I am thinking about cooking this bad boy using the after burner method, which per Meathead's article gets you to about 800 degrees. But the Meathead article also recommends you only use the after burner on steaks of 1/2-3/4 inch thick. I want my porterhouse to be at least 1.5 inches thick. Does anyone know why the Meathead rec is for thinner steaks? Is this doomed to failure or can this work?

He is using the burner for non-reverse seared thin steaks.
    A 1.5 incher would work better reverse seared.

Comment

A thicker steak will take so much longer for the heat to travel to the inside, that the outer edges will overcook in that hi-heat environment. If wall to wall pink is of no concern to you, you could surely front-sear a thicker steak. People have done it for decades. Especially if you like rare would front searing a thick steak work out ok.

Reverse sear allows heat to slowly travel inward, preventing the overcooking on the outer edge when medium-rare to medium is desired.

Thin steaks do not matter as much since it takes much less time for the high heat to get to the inside.

Comment

Earnest is right...

A thicker steak won't work with the afterburner method, because by the time you get the internal temp to 125-130 the outside would be burned... so you indirect cook your thicker steak till IT gets around 110-115 then sear it.

Meathead explains all that in the Reverse Sear article.

What is the right cooking temperature for barbecue? It depends. Not all food should be cooked low and slow or hot and fast. Sometimes, a combination of both is best, as seen in the reverse sear and in sous-vide-que. Read more about 2-zone cooking and when to grill with the lid up or down for perfectly cooked BBQ.

Last edited by smarkley; July 1, 2015, 10:32 AM.

Comment

By The Way... I have used Meathead's Afterburner method a few time... it really rawwwwks! BUT, try not to use a steak with a bone in it, because that bone will most likely burn.

Comment

smarkley. The afterburner method has become my go to method for when I'm alone and want a quick skinny steak. It's quick and easy.

Comment

The fast responses here are amazing. What you are saying makes sense to me, but then how does Peter Luger do it? There is no reverse sear, indirect heat, etc., at that place. They just blast the broiler at 800 degrees and come out with perfect steaks. Thin crust on the outside, wall to wall pink on the inside (med rare), bone that is relatively unburnt, delicious. I wouldn't think the difference between afterburner and broiler would matter but could be wrong there.

Comment

@
                Originally posted by R2-Meat2 View Post
                The fast responses here are amazing. What you are saying makes sense to me, but then how does Peter Luger do it? There is no reverse sear, indirect heat, etc., at that place. They just blast the broiler at 800 degrees and come out with perfect steaks. Thin crust on the outside, wall to wall pink on the inside (med rare), bone that is relatively unburnt, delicious. I wouldn't think the difference between afterburner and broiler would matter but could be wrong there.
                R2-Meat2 Some nice steak houses will hold their steaks at certain warmer temps for so long, and then just slap 'em in the broiler for x-amount of minutes, sometimes cooking both sides at once. They have the timing down to a science and get repeatable results with their system. This is why it's so hard to get the fancy steakhouse results at home. Reverse sear w/ a blindingly hot sear is your best bet.

Comment

Thanks, Gents. I will roll with reverse sear and let you know how it works out.

Comment

One more question: Meathead recommends dry brining the steak in salt for a couple of hours before the reverse sear. I plan on getting a couple nicely dry aged steaks for this project (I've got a great butcher and don't mind laying out some $$$ for the occasion). Would you recommend still dry brining or no?

Comment

Originally posted by R2-Meat2 View Post
                      One more question: Meathead recommends dry brining the steak in salt for a couple of hours before the reverse sear. I plan on getting a couple nicely dry aged steaks for this project (I've got a great butcher and don't mind laying out some $$$ for the occasion). Would you recommend still dry brining or no?
                      Yes, always.

Comment

When dry brining a steak, should you pat it dry before you salt it or only before you grill it?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here