Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Back Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Back Ribs

Ok...so, my wife convinced me to do beef ribs. I have not done these before. The only experience I have is with short ribs cooked as many ways as you can imagine. So, I decided to try some back ribs. I am also going to do pork baby backs along side, just in case I screw this up. Can't have a yard full of hungry people, all who will have consumed adult beverages, going hungry. Besides, If its all good and not all eaten, I'll wrap it in foil, freeze it and take it to the beach with me on Monday.

Anyway, I've read the Zen of Beef Ribs and the best way to cook short ribs, so, my question, will the beef back ribs cook much faster?...how much faster? I usually get Pork baby backs done in about 3.5-4 hours...is this about right for the beef back ribs. Thanks in advance for any tips you can offer.

Did some last weekend in about 4 hours at about 250, separated individually. It's one of the nice things about them. Since most of the meat is on the sides, there's less thickness to cook thru. Dry brine them for a day, rub with Big Bad Beef Rub, and take them to or near 203.

Comment

To me, they take a bit longer, but there is a pretty thick strip of fat in the middle and if you don't cook them long enough or wrap it will still be there and make it tougher. If you are ok with a little fat, probably the same amount of time. If I cook for me they go about like pork spares and if my wife is eating I wrap for an hour near the end.

Comment

The very end of the Beef Ribs article explains they can be done as quick as 3 hrs. In my experience they have taken around 5, give or take. Perhaps I get thicker pieces than what Meathead has experienced, not sure. I agree totally with John, they need time to become tender. They also, IMO, need a foil wrap.

Comment

Thanks to you all. I'll report back Saturday.

Comment

Thaks to all who commented. I did the beef back ribs along side pork baby backs...225 for 4.3 hours. Internal temp of the beef ribs only got to 185, but by the look and ...uh...sample....they were done. I pulled them and let them rest in cambro for 2 hours while the kids finished swimming and playing and the adults got "prepped" for the food. I did not do pics and these certainly weren't picture worthy, but man they turned out good. Tender, juicy, flavorful.
            Happy 4th to you all. We are about to head to the lake for pulled pork and fixins with friends. I will not be cooking today.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here