Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can I dry brine a brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long can I dry brine a brisket?

So, yesterday I must had been living life through a fog as for some reason I thought it was Wednesday (imagine my horror when I discovered how much longer that week had left). So, I went to Costco and got a 11 pound prime brisket, salted it up, and put it open in the fridge to dry brine. I don't plan to put it on the smoker until Friday morning. Should I saran wrap it, or leave ot open in the refrigerator until Friday?

It's beef you'll be alright. Maybe lightly tent it to prevent too much surface moisture loss.

Comment

better 3 days than one, Thursday I might put a little oil than heavy on the pepper gran garlic gran onion put back in fridge cook
      Friday

Comment

Thanks guys, figured it be alright being people age steaks in the refrigerator for weeks, but figured it be best to make sure.

Comment

​Welcome to The Pit CoryS! I'm of the ilk that wraps my beef in saran wrap when dry brining in the fridge, from brisket to steak. I cook on an EOS (stickburner) which has lots of dry airflow so I personally don't need any further drying of the surface. (I do hold skin-on chicken in open air in the fridge when dry brining, but that's it).

Now, on to the 'Welcome Package'....

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• Papa Bob
            Papa Bob commented
            Editing a comment
            me to I like to keep that moisture there so the meat can suck that salt back in
            good boy Huskee

I've read that too long of a brine can lead to dry brisket. I usually have done 12-24 hours. Granted, my source is golf.com (Pitmasters from Pinehurst).

https://golf.com/lifestyle/food/6-ru...rfect-brisket/

I also read Aaron Franklin applies the rub, let's it sit at room temp for up to an hour and then throws it straight on.
          Last edited by mcolson1590; December 13, 2020, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Brisket is a large cut of beef and it does take time for the salt to penetrate to the center. 12-24 hours works for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here