Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desalination of corned beef for pastrami question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desalination of corned beef for pastrami question

I haven’t made pastrami for a couple years, so I’m a little rusty. (But every time I’ve made it, it’s been great, so I’m confident.)

Anyhow, the instructions say to soak for 8 hours. But I remember that being longer. I checked the Meathead cookbook, because that’s a few years old now, but it also says 8 hours.

So, I can soak it longer, right? I mean, I can start it Monday around 11AM, change the water that night at 11PM, and then start pastrami Tuesday morning, and it will be the same as soaking it overnight from Monday to Tuesday, I’m thinking.

Anyhow, there’s no harm in consulting the hive mind. What say my pastrami pals?

I did a batch two weeks ago, desalinated it overnight (10-12 hours) and it turned out fine.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Did the exact same thing. Turned out great.

Sure over night would be fine. As I understand the chemistry, the length of time doesnt matter too much since the salt content will balance between meat and water and then no more salt will be extracted. If that's correct, then food safety would be the only real limit, i.e. I'd not want to forget it for 2 weeks etc.

Comment

What about something like 20 hours, changing the water once?

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think you want to change the water as that will extract more salt. I think leaving it in the original water for 20 hours will be fine.

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        So... depends how salty it is when you start and how salty you want it to end up. As STEbbq notes, changing the water will extract more salt.

I do 24 hour desalination with two water changes.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Me, too.

I usually do overnight 8-12 with no water change, or if in a hurry will do a 4-6 hour soak with 2 water changes.

Yes, you can pull too much salt out if you are changing the water - I did that once and my pastrami DEFINITELY needed to be salted when eating it.

If it's a big, thick hunk of meat, I think definitely overnight and don't change the water. It'll balance out ok, as long as you aren't using a full 5-gallon bucket for a small piece of meat.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point about the ratio or meat to water...

The amount of salt pulled out of the meat is all about time and concentration. To leach more salt out of the meat, change the water often, or use a large volume of water in proportion to the meat, or desalinate for a longer time. Or all of the above.

I desalinated my last batch of pastrami for 1 1/2 days due to a goof up by the cook. That was too long and the meat wasn't salty enough. It still tasted good. Just not amazing.

I've desalinated for 12-24 hours with delectable results, however.

Comment

I usually soak for 20-24 hours with one water change at around 12 hours.

Comment

I'm lazy, I found a butcher that does a nice mild corned beef that doesn't need desalinating. Just dry brine with a good pastrami rub overnight, smoke to 203ish and hold for two hours. Did one today and the family loved the Rueben's

Comment

Stuey1515 -- I've done that too and probably will again, but there's something truly enjoyable about making pastrami from start to finish.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here