Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

chuck roast naked.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chuck roast naked.

I have cooked a ton of brisket but it has always been wrapped. Today I smoked a chuck roast for the purpose of making chili with it next week. I decided not to wrap it because it was going in chili and I guess I wanted as much bark as possible. Plus if it is a little dry that's OK because it's going in chili. It was great but the bark was a little chewy. Is that the way it is when you smoke a brisket naked the whole way? I mean it's fine for the chili pot but I don't know if I prefer bark of that caliber. Do y'all like brisket unwrapped or wrapped? Just curious about y'alls perspective.

Just saying for myself. I like some bark but not too much. Would rather taste the smokey meat.

Comment

I'm a bark fanatic. I'll smoke a brisket uncovered as long as certain parts don't get too dried and kind of turn into jerky. My goal is to smoke them the whole way without getting wrapped. Most make it.

Comment

I cook brisket hot, 300 degrees F, the bark has a bit of crunch to it. Even after a 2 hour stay in the faux Cambro it's not chewy. I love cutting the ends off one straight off the smoker to cut in to cubes for a little snack while the rest goes in the faux Cambro. They are crisp and wonderful!

Comment

Oh man, I've tried it all. Wrapping (paper and foil), injecting, pan finished, sous vide (that does have its place), spritzing, mopping, yadda yadda yadda. My opinion is to take the time to learn how to select quality meat, be it brisket, chuck, or butt, brine it at least over night and run it nekkid at 250 - 275 until probe tender. Perhaps a little over-simplified because I do chuckies a little different for barbacoa, but the basic rules still apply to me.

And for chili I'm less concerned with the meat than I am for the other ingredients, although chuck and brisket are my favorites.
          Last edited by CaptainMike; October 19, 2020, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes

What cooker are you using? In my kettle the bark would be too hard without wrapping. In my PBC I almost never wrap and the bark isn’t as hard as meat that was wrapped in the kettle at 180.

Comment

• cccq
            cccq commented
            Editing a comment
            WSM without water.

I usually go nekkid the whole way. Never had a problem with hard bark but I use a water pan in a wsm, so that may affect the bark some.

Comment

I do all of my briskets without wrapping, in my WSM with the water pan as full as I can get it. I've tried various other ways but for me, it is by far my favorite way. When I take it out of the smoker, I have a lot of crunch. After resting a couple hours I generally have a great bark with a light dusting of crunchy bits. It seems like most people prefer to wrap, but I don't.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              This is just how I do it, too

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup.
              Me three.

If you're doing chuck roast for chili, Malcolm Reed's recipe is great:

Beef Chili recipe cooked on the grill with a smoked chuck roast, ground sausage, roasted vegetables for the perfect smoked chili.

Kathryn

Comment

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              That's going to be my starting point for some tri-tip chili soon. Some modifying of course. i.e. no canned beans.

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Did Malcolm say he likes beans in his chili???? End of story, the man has spoken!!!

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Chili con carne is chili with meat.
              Just saying . . .

I like to take mine unwrapped as long as I can. Especially if its going in chili. The bark will soften up in the chili anyway, and their is not much worry of drying anything out since it will be in a soup anyway.

Comment

I wrap both my brisket and chuck roasts in foil once they hit 170F or so. They usually have plenty of bark, and I think the wrap helps keep them from drying out in the flat of the brisket at least.

Chuck roasts usually have less fat than a brisket, and in my experience, can be drier overall, especially if not wrapped. That said, if going into chili, that bark will soften up.

We love bark here. Are you sure the tough part is bark, or is the surface of the meat dried out and jerky like or leathery in consistency?

Comment

I wrap only when I want to speed things up. I leave brisket and chuckies nekkid as much as possible. But, (there's always a but) after 140 to 150 they don't take on any more smoke. That's why I try to start them at about 29 F, cooking at 225, so they stay under that temp as long as possible. When they get up to about 160, and if I don't have time for a long stall, I'll wrap them, and depending on just what the time frame, bump the temp up to 275 or 300. But that's in one of my pellet burners, so it's easier to play with the cooker temp.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  well, they don't take on as much smoke :-)

I would not cook chick roast naked. The danger of touching something hot is too hi.... Oh. I see.

Comment

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You really are a sick man. Funny, but sick lol

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not sure what a chick roast is, but if it is what it sounds like, that girl is not gonna be happy

My favorite part of the brisket is the trimmings and thin strips of flat (1/4" of so) that I season and cook until they approach soft jerky. Delicious

Comment

I hate it nekkid. Wife & kids don't like it either. I wrap, but after the stall so the bark's pretty hardy before wrapping, but not hard and chewy once digging in.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here