Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chopped brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chopped brisket

I have a piece of flat that I want to chop and freeze to put in chili when the weather gets colder. How do you all chop brisket? Do I dare pulse it carefully in the food processor, or will that be too much?

I'd probably freeze it whole and chop it after it thawed out, less surface area exposed that way.

Comment

I tend to chop meats with a cleaver...usin my Ninja, I'm not entirely convinced I could stop it at th degree of chopped I wanted to achieve, but ain't sayin it cain't be done.

Comment

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. I love my food processors. (Well, perhaps except for the tiny one that I find mostly useless...but I digress.)

Even with the various blades, I’m not convinced that I could get a good "chop" and would be afraid of getting something more akin to a brisket smoothie. bleh

Vac-pack if you can and then chopped when thawed...or mostly thawed.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        surfdog
        Smoothie is, indeed, right where I suspect I'd be, if I tried it in my Ninja.

Not what ah'ma wantin, finished results, nossir...

I agree with Murdy - freeze it whole if you can. IF not, just cube it with a knife etc, freeze it. If you want more of a pulled texture, I suppose you could use two forks etc.

Comment

I've pulled pork with a stand mixer.....
        Never used a food processor on brisket.

I'd freeze it whole. Less surface area to dry out.

A cleaver is probably the most fun to chop with......but I just use my chef knife

Comment

wife just freezes it and then chops

Comment

Yup, cleaver or a weally big knife.

Comment

I had read about people pulling pork in a stand mixer, and I know I saw Alton Brown use a food processor on pulse to create his favorite blend of beef to make hamburgers, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't wandering into dangerous territory.

So thank you all very much! Freeze now, chop later -- got it. Looking forward to improved chili this winter!
              Last edited by Ann-Marie in the backyard; October 12, 2020, 04:40 PM. Reason: edited for clarity

Comment

• troymeister
                troymeister commented
                Editing a comment
                I try to use machines as little as possible. Notwithstanding they have their purpose. To me Chopping by hand always gives a better measure of control. Even on a big batch a cleaver can do a lot of work.Yet sometimes a blender or food processor is the better tool for the job. Oh my ..Dilemmas suck don'y they..lol

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here