Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri-tip on KBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-tip on KBQ

I’m getting ready to do a tri-tip on my KBQ. What is the best temp to cook at? Low and slow and then sear on the top grate, or high temp and then sear. IT to about 130?

I don’t have a KBQ, but I say low n slow, then sear over the firebox.

Comment

I cook Tri-Tip low and slow until IT is about 120F and then sear the hell out of it. When I pull, the IT is about 130F and carry over takes it to 135-140F. Tri-Tip is perhaps my favorite cook and after 15 years of working to get it somewhere close to the stuff you can get in Central California (Santa Maria, etc), I believe this approach is about 85% as good as those guys do on their open Santa Maria grills over live wood fire. On the KBQ, I gotta think you are gonna get even closer to that.

Comment

• Ronaldf123
      Ronaldf123 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks ecowper I’ll give it a try

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Wut he sed iz gooder ^

You got great advice. Make sure you post your photos and your opinion here, once done.
    Last edited by tbob4; October 11, 2020, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A522B1DC-767A-420D-AD3D-282D513FC7D7.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	922546
      pulling tri-tip out at 120

Name:	78A6DF4E-9A8A-4AD4-8598-36774938DF8B.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	922545
      searing over firebox

Name:	30D5F2E2-DE59-4A48-B6EE-24694A977652.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	922544
      dinner time

Tri-tip came out really well, very juicy. My question is when searing, I had coals on the bottom of the firebox and a medium size log that was still there. Should there have been only coals or does it matter. The fire didn’t seem to be near as hot as when searing over the slow n sear.

Comment

• Ronaldf123
        Ronaldf123 commented
        Editing a comment
        Jfrosty27 yes it was delicious

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        I can’t see it being cooked any better than that. Great job.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks awesome!

Well, I’d have to say you just about nailed that cook! wonderful job!

Comment

Looks like you have it sorted!

Comment

Looks to be cooked perfectly. Great cut of meat!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here