Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Short Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Short Ribs

ok guys this is for any member in PA . i have seen beef short ribs for sale on the net but not in any store around me in sw PA. SO IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE that has a secret butcher or meat house that sales these thing that they do not want a arm and leg? i have got the small ones (walmart and sams) that come in a 3 rib slab. but after they are done there is hardly anything left.

I’ve never seen them on the shelf at any market/butcher in my area - sorry, CA, so not really helpful to you, but I’m chipping in my 2¢ anyway.

A couple times per year they show up at my local Costco for $8-10/lb, so not exactly cheap - especially when the same Costco has Prime brisket for $3.69/lb - but they’re the big brontosaurus bones that are 12” long and have 3” of meat on top of the bone.

One of these days I’m gonna grab’em. Until then I keep dreaming about proper beef ribs.
    Last edited by Santamarina; October 10, 2020, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• Planner47
      Planner47 commented
      Editing a comment
      snake river farms sales them for 15 a pound plus shipping's would love to see them here at costco for 8to 10 a pound. well here's hoping!

Again, no help to you in PA, but these disappeared in my area when the pandemic hit. Used to be at Costco for $5.49 per pound pretty much all the time. Prime grade too. My local butcher had the same prime grade for $5.99 any day of any week. Now, nada. Ah for the good old days.

Comment

• Planner47
      Planner47 commented
      Editing a comment
      would love to see that here at Costco.

Here in NE PA they are an every day item at Wegman’s, both bone-in and boneless.

I’m assuming you mean the ones that are 2-3” cube shaped, not dino bones.

Comment

• Planner47
      Planner47 commented
      Editing a comment
      yes MOSCA dino bones. lol where at in NE PA?
      Last edited by Planner47; October 11, 2020, 09:44 AM.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, the dino bones are hard to find here, too. Sometimes at Sam’s Club. But they usually have short ribs (small cut) and flanken/Asian style.

I’ve never made the dino bones. I have two sets in the freezer, though.

-We had a family reunion at Northmoreland Park 3 years ago. All the meat for the event was bought at two places. Thoma Meat Market in Saxonburg (interesting place) and Golden Dawn (small Supermarket off Freeport Rd) in New Kensington. One of those two places had beef short ribs at least 3 years ago.
    -Here in Va Beach beef short ribs are a bit easier to find at the usual suspects Costco, Restaurant Depot, Wegmans, BJ's.
    -Hope you are successful in your hunt.
    *Should have looked before I posted. Golden Dawns weekly flyer advertises Bone In Beef Short Ribs at $5.99 lb.
    **Thoma does not list them on their menu of cuts of meat.
    Last edited by tiewunon; October 11, 2020, 06:45 AM.

Comment

• Planner47
      Planner47 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wish you had sent me a invite! Just 11 miles from northmoreland park. i am going to check out Thoma Meat Market in Saxonburg. Thanks for the lead Tiewunon

• tiewunon
      tiewunon commented
      Editing a comment
      Planner47 Both my parents grew up in Markle. Fathers side eventually moved to Natrona Heights, mothers side stayed in Markle until early 80's then delegated and evacuated to Florida.

• Planner47
      Planner47 commented
      Editing a comment
      I am 5 miles from Markle.

Providing a wide selection of fresh meats, and some of the best home-smoked product you will ever taste. Order Now!

These guys are in Philadelphia. And they ship fresh.
    Very well trimmed and meaty.

Comment

• Planner47
      Planner47 commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks Steve B

A year or so ago, I asked the butcher at our Safeway if they had whole, four bone short rib slabs. He went in back and got me a whole slab, still frozen. On display, they usually have some flanken and English cut, but NEVER are whole racks on display. So...ask your butchers what might be in the back. If they are cutting meat in-store and carry flanken/English cut, I'd guess the odds of getting whole slabs just might be in your favor. ;«) Also, for those in or near Tucson, try Dickman's; they have/had a good selection of meat, including "exotics" like kangaroo, elk, python(!), etc.

BTW, the short ribs from the Allen Brothers package deal that Meathead got us the discount for were EXCELLENT! One slab smoked, one still in the freezer. Probably the best single Q I've ever done. Thanks, Meathead I'm looking forward delivery of my first Sitka Salmon Share pack in a couple of weeks.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Willy You must have gotten lucky with those Allen Brothers plate ribs. I was quite disappointed in the ones I got.
      They did taste good but they were very small.
      One rack was barely over 3lbs and the other just under 4lbs.

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      This is how I get them. My grocery store has flanken cut and English cut on display. If you ask at the meat counter they will bring you out a whole slab.

Update to my earlier post:

I was at my local butcher for a few things and asked if they had racks available. Sure enough. They’re back! Prime grade 4 bone chuck short ribs for $7.49 per lb. The price went up $1.50 per pound, but hey, beggars can’t be choosers right. 👏👍

Comment

• Planner47
      Planner47 commented
      Editing a comment
      glad to hear that they are available for you. not a bad price

A little late, but I’ve found that if you ask a butcher for them they usually have them. I believe that most of them get cut into the short pieces because people can treat them the same as pork ribs when they are that size. Most people don’t want to spend 9 hrs cocking ribs, and a lot of people don’t know what to do with a beef rib that size.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here