Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Pot Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Pot Roast

BFlynn and his smoked pot roast on the PBC inspired me to give this a try. I’ve got a bit to go yet, but thought I’d post what I’ve done so far and then the final results after dinner.

So, I had about 2.5 lbs of chuck roast left over from the huge hunk of chuck roast that my wife bought a couple weeks ago. I turned half of it into chopped beef tacos. This other half I’m making a pot roast with and decided to smoke it.

I defrosted overnight and then dry brined for a couple hours this morning. Hit it good and hard with some Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow Crust. I’ve got some celery, pearl onions, carrots, and red potatoes, so guess what’s going in the pot? Found some more beef stock in the freezer and had a bottle of inexpensive Chianti. Perfect!

Ingredients
    • 2.5 lbs chuck roast, dry brined
    • 4 red potatoes
    • 2 stalks celery
    • 2 medium carrots
    • 20 pearl onions
    • 2 TBSP Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow Crust mixed into paste with 2 TBSP water
    • Fresh thyme and rosemary from the garden
    • 1 cup chianti
    • 3 cups beef stock
    What I did

I built a nice fire in the Hasty-Bake, got the grate up to about 275F and added a chunk of red oak. Rubbed the chuck roast with the Cow Crust and then put on the Hasty-Bake and let it cook for about 2 hours. While that was going on, I had a Shiner Bock, chopped the celery and carrots, and blanched and peeled the pearl onions. Then I pulled the chuck roast, threw it in a Dutch oven, added all the veggies, quartered the potatoes and added them, and then the wine and stock. Put the Dutch oven into the Hasty-Bake, uncovered, to cook. About 2 hours into that now.

Chuck Roast has dry brined and now rubbed with Mrs. O’Learys
    Click image for larger version

Name:	917D9CBE-0043-4A48-AC1E-D5529E5D976E.jpeg
Views:	507
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	922017

On the Hasty-Bake, running about 275F

Name:	34FA9099-800D-43CA-A46A-CC5F708A8E7B.jpeg
Views:	509
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	922016

After 2 hours, about to go in the Dutch oven

Name:	699B2436-9DEF-4CBB-A1CD-2A072EAD31EF.jpeg
Views:	631
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	922012

The veggies

Name:	6FC8DCF5-BE02-415D-918B-5F7BA6CC9DEC.jpeg
Views:	536
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	922014

Everything in the pot, ready to go

Name:	250EFDAC-D5C3-4BC7-BA74-5055BF738507.jpeg
Views:	512
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	922013

And on the Hasty-Bake .... wife is worried I will mess up her favorite Dutch Oven. I told her I’d buy another one if I mess it up.

Name:	9909DC4C-7C25-44D1-9C0C-8AFAEB32CA86.jpeg
Views:	504
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	922015

Looks like some good comfort food!!!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s definitely fall here in Western WA and that calls for pot roast or stew :-)

This is a great cook. You will love it. I did one last week in the form of a Mississippi pot roast, with peperonchini peppers. Family wants it again soon.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, the smells coming from the Hasty-Bake have the hounds going crazy. Both are circling. Even the 15 year old Lab, ancient as he is.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmmmmmm, pepperoncini peppers might be interesting. I’ve seen a pot roast recipe with chipotle peppers and thought about it. I may give it a try next time!

That’s going to be great!!

Comment

Here’s the pot roast right around the 5 hour of cooking mark, 2 hours to smoke, then 3 hours of braising/smoking. Should be good to go in another hour, or so, I’m thinking.

Name:	75394912-D403-4132-A90F-E9A36C66684C.jpeg
Views:	503
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	922047

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Straight out of a magazine there!

That looks really tasty!!!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s your idea my friend, I’m hoping I can come close to what you did ..... did you worry about meat temp at all?

Well, the final outcome was great. To the point where my wife, who really doesn’t like Pot Roast said I should make this again.

Just came off the Hasty-Bake!

Name:	9A242BB8-A255-4CD1-94DC-AE0CBC0B0D1A.jpeg
Views:	494
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	922117

Sliced ... beautiful smoke ring, moist and tender

Name:	B7827996-4F94-4EBB-AD5E-80854F157CD7.jpeg
Views:	488
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	922116

Smashed up potatoes, some sourdough bread, steamed broccoli, and a glass of the same Chianti that I used to braise the pot roast at the end. The meat was mildly smoky and mildly pot roasty ... if that makes sense.

Name:	9E368D1E-6AD2-4009-958B-0E735F308AC7.jpeg
Views:	503
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	922115

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        That DOES make it a homer! When you preface it with "she generally doesn’t like it" you know it was a grand slam.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        tbob4 Stacy was tolerant of my idea to smoke a pot roast, but she also told me that she might have to eat a sandwich since she just doesn’t like a traditional pot roast. So, yeah, I’m thinking grand slam.

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        This last pic just made me go weak in the knees. Hubba hubba that's a plate of pure comfort!

I took the left over veggies and braising liquid, added some beef bones I had in the freezer, and some water, salt, pepper, oregano .... cooking the remnants into a beef stock

Name:	1F04B290-1AFC-4DBD-841C-9B67B9F33A9C.jpeg
Views:	471
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	922128

Comment

Looks delicious...now I’m hungry for pot roast!

I’ll be honest...when I do pot roast, or any type of Dutch oven stew, it’s because I don’t have time to tend to the smoker, so I do it all in the oven. But this makes me really want to try the smoke method!

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve never really done this before either ... I was inspired by BFlynn to try this. And holy moly ... you should do it!

• Texas Larry
          Texas Larry commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes! The smoke makes a huge difference in the final product.

Thanks for the nice writeup, ecowper . This is one of many reasons why I'm glad you came back to the Pit after your hiatus.

So you left the pot roast in the smoker for one more hour, as you estimated in Post #5, before serving? I'm assuming you cooked more by time and tenderness and not by temperature.

And do you have to buy your wife a new dutch oven?

Kathryn

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          So, my post above on timing was a bit off. Must have had one too many glasses of chianti :-) ..... but I have all the cooking notes in the FireBoard app, makes it so easy to recreate what I actually did.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the clarification, ecowper . And buy Stacy a pretty one!

K.

• Texas Larry
          Texas Larry commented
          Editing a comment
          I have also had satisfactory results using foil pans. I have a dedicated (spouse approved) cast iron as well.

ecowper great cook and great write up. Food looks wonderful. Made me salivate all the way from Washington State to Alabama, and that's quite a ways. I have two plain cast iron dutch ovens. I purchased the second, a Lodge 5 qt because I could not find my old standby which is so old, I have no idea who made it, seriously. Well after cooking on the new one twice, naturally I found the old one! I suggest you invest in something like that. You will not have to worry about offending the wife and you can use it anywhere from the kitchen to a campfire.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          I use my Lodge in my smokers all of the time. If I even looked at the BBQ and my wife's Le Creuset (which we bought years ago when they were not terribly expensive) Dutch Oven I would be grounded for a week.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          My wife has the Kirkland Dutch oven and I have a le creuset ..... amazed she let me put that sucker on the smoker. I’m gonna get something CI. Probably just go Lodge, but maybe see if I can find something at a garage sale

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I can vouch for th quality of said Tramontinas, I've beem usin their 5 qt fer several years...

Everything I've read contraindicates usin porcelained DO's on outdoor cookers....

So, reckon my point is, I'd jus look fer mebbe a 5 qt. Lodge, er summat similar...

ecowper my 5 qt Lodge came pre-seasoned for I believe $39.95 at Walmart. Can't beat it.

Comment

ecowper , Tramontina makes a good CI enameled Dutch Oven. Rated highly by Cooks Illustrated. Sold at Walmart. That's my backup one. I also have a larger Lodge from Walmart. I'd never use my 8.5 qt Staub in the smokers.

Kathryn

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I will vouch fer quality, I have a 5 qt Tramontina, very pleased with it. Never a hiccup.

I missed BFlynn post on this, but I'm glad I caught this one. Thanks for posting, and I am going to look up the original post.

Comment

klflowers here is the original post from BFlynn that got me going on the idea

Tried something new this week. Select Chuck Roast was on sale for $2.49 a lb, so I ordered one with the grocery pick up. Always sketchy to let someone else pick your meat, but we're limiting store trips as much as possible. It looked fine, but not as well marbled as I'd want to smoke, but fine for a crock pot. Pot roast in the

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here