Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does (cooked) brisket hold up in the freezer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does (cooked) brisket hold up in the freezer?

I’m going to be smoking a brisket next weekend, and am thinking of doing a couple of them to vacuum-seal and freeze in serving-size packages. I do this with pulled pork and it’s amazing to have perfect pulled pork in the middle of winter without having to freeze my toes off. But how well does brisket hold up in the freezer?

Frozen chopped brisket has done perfectly fine. But I've also had plenty sliced. Freeze with a little juice.

Comment

I've had good success as well with food-saver'ing/freezing slices as well as burnt ends, doesn't seem to hurt it much.

Comment

It holds up great if vacuum sealed or tightly wrapped in foil. I had a Snow's brisket wrapped in foil for 2 years that was still excellent when thawed and heated.

Comment

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          2 years? Neglect or restraint? For me it would have been a result of neglect.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Craigar Now you’ve got me curious as to why he would wait that long. Snow’s BBQ was rated best brisket in Texas last year in Texas Monthly’s Top 50 BBQ joints in Texas. 58limited why did you wait 2 years?

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought it as an extra when I bought some Snow's BBQ for a college buddy gathering. I was going to serve it at an employee meeting at my local brewery but plans changed and the meeting really never happened. I kept it intending to share it at some special occasion that never materialized and finally decided that I needed to thaw it and see if it was still good. I sous vide it to thaw and heat and it was still awesome! Took some to work and to the brewery - everyone loved it.

I do it every time I smoke a brisket. I like to reheat sous vide. Don’t slice before you freeze, just freeze meal size chunks.

Comment

I’ve found it’s not too bad as long as you seal it real good before freezing, and heating it back up in the oven in foil, or back on the grill for a bit, after thawing. If you don’t have a food sealer, this stuff works great for wrapping up food for freezing. Glad Press N Seal. It’s sticky and seals food real well. I will then put the meat inside a freezer bag after wrapping with this.
          Attached Files

Comment

Fantastic, thanks everyone. Don’t slice, vacuum seal, and enjoy when there’s snow on the ground. Got it!! ;-)

Comment

Make some of this, and put some in the bags before you seal it. I usually put the chunks of brisket in quart ziplock bags with some of the BBQ juice and seal then put the ziplock bag in the vac seal bag. That way the liquid doesn't get sucked out into the tray on the vac sealer, or worse, interfere with the seal.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...barbecue-juice
              Last edited by klflowers; October 6, 2020, 10:14 AM. Reason: changed the put to then put

Comment

• PhotoJoseph
                PhotoJoseph commented
                Editing a comment
                Brilliant. Why have I never thought of this?,!

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                PhotoJoseph, I’ma tell my wife you said an idea of mine is brilliant lol

Brisket does even better than pulled pork. Sliced or unsliced.

Comment

How does (cooked) brisket hold up in the freezer? Frozen of course.
                Last edited by bbqLuv; October 4, 2020, 04:57 PM.

Comment

I actually completely chill the leftover hunk in the fridge, then slice cold to keep the fat where it belongs, then portion out spread no more than an inch thick in the vacuum seal bags. This way I can reheat very quickly (because it is thin) and I don’t have to thaw a solid hunk that I might not use all at once.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here