Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Attempt at Pastrami. Any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razor
    commented on 's reply
    Nothing wrong with that.

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Congrats!

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    yeah, homemade pastrami is great. If you have the room, you can cure multiple flats and freeze the ones you don't smoke. Desalinate them all, then freeze. When you want one as pastrami, thaw, rub, smoke.

BTW, as corned beef (i.e. just no smoking) it's pretty damn good.

Finally, grab a turkey breast, cure it and smoke to about 165. Voila, turkey pastrami>=.

• TripleB
    commented on 's reply
    Looks fantastic. Great job.

• STEbbq
    replied
    Whoa, now this was a hit. I cooked the point which was about 5.5 pounds at 250 until it was about 195 and probe tender which took about 8 hours. It was melt in your mouth good and the flavors were amazing! My wife even likes it more than my brisket which was the flat cooked last week. Needless to say, the week’s worth of curing etc was worth it. Amazing!!!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ddmcwhirter
    replied
    I found success separating the point and curing the flat. That's now what I'll likely do most of the time. Everything is better with some cure (this is for a short time partial cure more for flavor than preservation.

Leave a comment:

• DiverDriver
    replied
    I have spit a whole packer and made pastrami twice according to meathead taking to the end of the smoke came out perfect both times. I portioned when rested... vac seal and froze. It is excellent!!! Oh the corned beef was astounding as well!

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    replied
    Smoke all the way for me too. I have a packer in the fridge that I am going to split and cure as soon as I get some time.

Leave a comment:

• shify
    replied
    Last few times I just smoked all the way and think it’s just easier. I only steam now to reheat leftovers.

Leave a comment:

• BFlynn
    replied
    I've only done pastrami twice. I've used a flat for both.
    First one, I cured myself, smoked to 160, and steamed for 3 hours. Tasted great. Was super tender. Only thing that wasn't 100% was the bark was soft. It was a choice grade brisket flat.
    The second one I did was a store bought corned beef flat. I'm assuming it was select grade. I smoked to 185. Bark was good and set. Steamed for 2 hours. It came out good but not great. Taste was spot on. Was mostly tender and moist-ish, but a step down from the first one. Bark was still soft. Smoking through the stall made it shrink up more, as well. I think the biggest difference was in the grade of meat to start.

Going forward I plan to 1) cure myself, 2) smoke to 160, 3) steam til done, 4) firm the bark up in the oven.
    Just my 2 cents. I've only done this twice, so not the most experienced.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    replied
    Be sure to desalinate. I like to let the rub sit on the brisket (I do whole packers or the flat myself) for a few days on a wire rack uncovered. I find it helps the bark stay put, as I am one of them that steams the first way of the cook.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    Desalination is a must.

• STEbbq
    replied
    Well, it is in the brine now so I will report back in about a week or so.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    After a few tries with following Mh's recipe exact, I began treating my pastrami brisket the same as regular brisket in all respects (including wrapping after the stall)and I much prefer that myself and so does my wife & kids. Heck with steaming and all that mess, I don't need authentic, I need "good for us"!

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Remember--Recipes are only a guide. Baking is a science; cooking/BBQ/Smoking is an art.
    don't forget pictures, thanks in advance.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here