Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When should I wrap, or should I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When should I wrap, or should I?

I got a 5.5 lb chuck roast which I am cooking on my Weber kettle with the SnS deluxe. This is my first attempt at doing a low and slow cook with a chuck roast. I did a dry brine and let it sit in the fridge for about 18 hours. I did not use any fancy rub, just fresh ground multi-colored peppercorns, garlic powder and onion powder. I put it on the kettle at around 10:20 this morning and the temperature has been pretty steady around 248 - 251. It is now 3 1/2 hours later and the IT is 159 and it looks as if it is in the stall. It has only gone up about 3 degrees in the last half hour. Still being quite new with low and slow bbq, I am wondering how long can I expect the stall to last and also whether you think it is advisable for me to wrap it in either foil or pink butcher paper? I am posting two pictures of this piece of meat the first right after I seasoned it and the next about 1 1/2 hours into the cook. I would really appreciate any advice or help that anyone wants to offer

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chuck roast - Start.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	918926

Name:	Chuck roast - 1.5 hours.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	918927

Pull that pan you have under it, put the roast in there with a little beef broth or even water if you don’t have any broth. Cover tightly with foil and let it go until you hit tenderness at around 200-205. Then enjoy.

Comment

That sounds like a simple solution. Thank you, I will do that. Any other suggestions or recommendations that come in I wil just save for the next chuck roast.

Comment

I like to wait for the bark to set nicely. It's kind of a feel/preference thing and can occur in the 160-170 range. Wrap in a double layer of foil with 1/2 cup or so of beef broth. I've started doing chucks barbacoa style and I'm really enjoying the results. I'll make a chili sauce like I use in, well, chili, slather that on the roast after it gets some smoke and bark, then wrap and take it to 205.

Comment

Cook looks great based on the pictures. I agree with the above. When to pull?? Wait until the bark is set. Could be set based on the second pic but I think I would be patient and go up to say 170. Bark should be set by then if not now, then follow above instructions.

Comment

Hmmm, to wrap, or not? That discussion ranks up there with the ol' discussions about religion and politics

I tend to wrap and will at times do as mentioned above and braise some. Does anyone think that cooking in a tight pan could wick away extra moisture from the meat? It just seems to me that if I put in a pan, with 8 ounces of liquid, I seem to get way more liquid in the pan when done. Would all of that moisture really have evaporated if left naked, or did the covering expedite the evaporation?

Comment

• Davek8282
              Davek8282 commented
              Editing a comment
              (Me? Ah'm still tryin to figger out how we know th lightbulb in th icebox really goes out, once we shut th door!).

Thats why they have a time delay on camera's so you can take a picture after you put the camera in the fridge.

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              And you want to be my Electrician, Mr. Bones

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, Ah'm dang dang sure yer Sparky, an More, Cap'n!

Having a good bark really appeals to me but my wife and daughter don't like it. I am not going to fight with two women over bark. I will save that energy for something really worth fighting for

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
              Alabama Smoke commented
              Editing a comment
              A simple solution......cut your chucky into two separate smaller roasts. Take theirs off first, yours later.

At times I like to slice up a bunch of onions and peppers and make a bed in the pan to set the roast on. Then add some beef broth and cover the pan tightly. All this is around the 170 mark after bark has set.

Comment

I like a lot more bark than you're currently showing.. the first pic shows the rub coverage I use, and the second pic shows what it looks like going in to where I'll either wrap at 170F to finish it and serve as an entre, or if I'm going to use it and slice it for lunchmeat I won't wrap it but just let it finish naked.

Name:	Chuckie Spice.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	919024

Name:	Chuckie Cook.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	919025

Comment

11 hours later it is finally done. I don't know whether it was putting it in the pan with some broth that made it take so long or just that it decided that was its choice. At any rate it turned out very well and I am happy with the final outcome. Thanks again for the comments. Being new at this I welcome anything at all that anyone might say, whether positive or negative.6

Name:	Chuck roast - done.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	919506

​ ​​​​​​​

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                  LA Pork Butt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks like the ones I do after I wrap in foil without liquid, but of course there is less liquid in the foil than you have in the pan. I see tender and pull apart in that pan.

Looks great, I'd be all tooth an fang into that Chuckie!

Comment

Yeah it looks great to me too. Good job.

Comment

I don’t wrap beef until the bark is set. Sometimes that’s when I pull it.

Comment

Thank you all for the comments and encouraging remarks. I was a little hesitant when I decided it was time for me to try the low and slow cook, but having done a couple now, I am happy to say that I have found a new way of using my kettle and hope that it will keep getting better

Comment

Great lookin cook! I think ya have to git another one or to & cook em up just to prove this wasn’t a mistake. 🕶

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here