Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pepper Garlic Roast Beef -- "Proof of Cook" for Hardee!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pepper Garlic Roast Beef -- "Proof of Cook" for Hardee!

When I was in college, my dad used to occasionally bring me a black pepper rubbed beef roast that was stuffed with garlic pieces, that he cooked on a grill. It was awesome and made me the most popular guy in the dorm for a few days. Because I was a dumb college kid, I never got the recipe from him. So I decided to try to recreate it, using what I’ve learned since then.

The most important things I’ve learned, from this site, are (1) dry brining with salt is the way to go, and (2) other spices don’t penetrate the meat at all, so there’s no point in letting them sit for hours or days. (Thanks, Dr. Blonder!) So I decided to approach this project by dry brining with salt (1/2 teaspoon of kosher per pound of meat), and then dry rubbing with equal amounts (by weight – volume is radically different) of ground black pepper and garlic powder shortly before starting the cook.

I found a 2-pound sirloin top roast at Whole Foods. I picked it because it was the most marbled (other than chuck roast, which my dad definitely did not use) of the beef roasts, and because it was a good size for the three of us. Although Whole Foods had thoughtfully tied it into a nice round circle for even cooking, I untied it because my wife and daughter like overcooked beef, so I wanted to overcook the ends of the roast while properly cooking the part I was going to eat! I also trimmed away pieces of silverskin they had left.

Step one was dry brining it. I used about 18 grams of kosher salt. I planned 24 hours, but it turned into 48 (life, huh?). The first pic is out of the fridge after dry brining.

An hour or so before cooking, I pulled it out of the fridge and rubbed it with 18 grams each of ground black pepper and garlic powder. The second pic is with the rub on.

I set up my Texas Pit Crafters cooker for indirect cooking -- fire to the left, food to the right -- and put the meat on. The temps ran a little high, 250 versus the ideal 225, but I took it to 115 internal temp per the Maverick, and then reverse seared all four sides for five minutes atop Grill Grates. Unfortunately, a lot of the rub stayed on the Grill Grates instead of sticking to the meat! The third pic is the finished product brought inside.

So I cut it open, and it was cooked correctly. Here you go -- fourth pic.

So, biggest problem was lack of bark. I'm thinking using oil to make a wet rub will resolve that. The flavor was great.

Not bad at all for playing it by ear. That's how I like to do it.

Comment

• dprice
      dprice commented
      Editing a comment
      Completely winging it! Why else do it, huh?

Yummmm looks great!

Comment

Looks tasty! A wet rub would be good. Should bring out the flavors of your spices since they are oil soluble.

Comment

A bit of sugar might help that rub bark up. Doesn't have to be much...

Comment

• dprice
          dprice commented
          Editing a comment
          Good idea.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here