Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Pastrami Interruptus....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Pastrami Interruptus....

I'm making Close to Katz's Pastrami--my favorite Meathead recipe. I have just finished corning the beef and am soaking it to get the salt off. Was going t o rub tomorrow (Friday) and smoke it on Sunday. However (!), there is a Spare the Air warning in effect till 10/6 due to fires and bad air here in Cali. So, do I freeze the meat until it is all clear to smoke? Do I let the water drain before I freeze it? Do I rub it and keep it in the fridge? Rub it before freezing? I just don't know. What's the best thing to do so that it will still come out Close to Katz's? Appreciate any advice here. Thanks in Advance.
    Last edited by frangooch; October 1, 2020, 01:48 PM.

Finish desalinating. Then pull it, dry it off (pat dry), wrap or vac seal and freeze. When you go to smoke it, pull it down the night before (or sooner - it will take a bit to defrost), apply rub and smoke. Alternately, apply the rub then freeze - doesn't matter.
    Last edited by rickgregory; October 1, 2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 - perfect instruction..

Agree with rickgregory. It won't matter much here. You could even put it on the smoker frozen or par-thawed. The rub on now or after thawing won't matter much.

Comment

• frangooch
      frangooch commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, guys!

I have nothing to add, but welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome from Western Massacusetts.

Another option is finish what you are doing. Freeze it, get a Styrofoam container and some dry ice and pack it up. Then overnight it to me. Address will be provided. I will finish the process and promise to post lots of pictures.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        🤣🤣🤣

Charter member, 1st post! Welcome to the verbal side. Join in, let us try to convince you that you need more expensive meat. More cookers. More gadgets. More guitars, motorcycles, wives... wait, forget that last one.

Comment

I have a couple five pound belly slabs to make into bacon this morning, and I think my small amount of applewood smoke will only help air quality in Sonoma County.

Comment

I usually let the rub sit on the corned brisket for a few days uncovered in a rack in the fridge before smoking it anyway. It seems to help in the bark formation and helping the rub adhere. What's one more day, nothing, I usually go about three.

Comment

Many spices in your rub are not going to like being frozen and then thawed. Wait, and rub in a fresh rub when you're going to do the cook.

Comment

Originally posted by JGo37 View Post
              Many spices in your rub are not going to like being frozen and then thawed. Wait, and rub in a fresh rub when you're going to do the cook.
              This is what I did. Came out perfect. Thank you!

Comment

• rickgregory
                rickgregory commented
                Editing a comment
                Pics!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here