Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FIRE IN THE EGG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIRE IN THE EGG

I am not a big brisket fan but will smoke one every month. wife loves them. She found a prime 19 pound one in sams club that looked really good with a ton of marbling. I trimmed it like i always do and started the cook at 5:30 am at 225 degrees. at 11 am it dropped to 205 and i adj. the exhaust a tiny bit and it started to come up very slowly. i went to get a cup of coffee that i make in a kuerig coffee making one cup machine. all about 3 min.. came back to the egg and the temp was 550 degrees. I shut down both the intake and and outtake. i took the brisket out and wrapped it and finished it in the oven. when i opened the egg there was flames that looked like it was a fat fire! I have a a 14 inch. diffuser plate under the brisket so everything is cooked in indirect heat. The brisket finished and when i opened it the bottom was burnt and hard as a rock! the top part finished great! go figure! i have cooked a lot of fat-ee meat and NEVER had this happen. when i cleaned out the bottom there were charcoal chucks glued to the ceramic bowl by something. Has anyone had this happen to them?
    Last edited by Planner47; October 10, 2020, 08:58 PM.

Grease Fire?!
    I had a small one in the corner of my pellet grill. operator error.
    Last edited by bbqLuv; October 1, 2020, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Same here. i left the top open to long while i was running back and forth to the kitchen!

Comment

I always use a water pan and it catches the grease drippings.

Comment

First I am sorry your Brisket cook did not go as planned.
          I have been lucky cooking on Kamado's since 1977 have never had a grease fire, but I always use a drip pan.
          - In the BGE I sit the drip pan on top of 4 small ceramic squares that rest on the plate setter. I have been using those squares about 8 yrs now. Really help keeping the drip pan off the plate setter preventing fat burnoff and have avoided that acrid taste that I used to get before the squares.
          - I set up the Primo XL the same way but with 6 of those ceramic squares resting on the D-plates. 3 on each plate and then drip pan resting on those.
          - Kikuya Hibatchi Pot is set up like the BGE but I use a Pizza Stone in that cooker even though the plate setter fits.
          I do Butts, Ribs (pork & beef) and Shoulder Clods and Brisket all the time and always with a drip pan (disposable).
          I do not think I have ever cooked/smoked on a Kamado without a drip pan. Not saying its the correct way, but it works for me.

Comment

GUYS i have been looking on amazon for a 14 inch pie pan that will fit on the stone and below the grate. so that will be my water pan and caught pan. i have done more fatty pork butts and never had this happen! still can not under stand how this happen! i have even done a turkey with a stick off butter on and under the skin.
            Last edited by Planner47; October 1, 2020, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I have been cooking on a BGE for ten years and have never had anything like that happen. Admittedly I haven’t cooked a lot of briskets, but I have cooked a ton of Boston Butts. I am guessing the rapid rise in temp was due to a grease fire. I cooked with water pans, spacers between the diffuser and the pan, and the pan on the diffuser. So, I can’t begin to guess what caused it.

I am glad what you were able to salvage was good. As tiewunon suggested spacers would be a safe guard. They are available at the Ceramic Grill Store.

Comment

• Planner47
              Planner47 commented
              Editing a comment
              did not know what you meant by spacers until today looking at the Ceramic Grill Store and ordered them. should ordered them with the drip pan. thanks LA PERK BUTT

I think what happened is as the fat was rendering it found a nice path to some unlit lump that became soaked with the fat while the temp was holding steady and then dropping. Would not be surprised if the metal ash grate (if you use that vice kick ash) had some fat/oil resting on it also. Once you opened the daisy or regulator it provided enough air flow to restoke the fire and fat soak lump ignited or more likely a piece of wood flashed/ignited and then the fat soaked lump ignited causing the run away fire.

Comment

• Planner47
              Planner47 commented
              Editing a comment
              that makes scents. the only thing i did to reg the temp up was to open the top a tiny bump. make be a 1/6 of a inch.

I've been cooking on a Kamado for 5 years now. I've had several grease flair ups, but they always happen with the top open and go out as soon as I close the top. Even with a bad gasket I've never had enough air for a grease fire. Yes you can get all the air and heat you need for a grease fire with both vents fully open, like when you're cleaning it. I'm sure that's not the setting you had to cook a brisket. I would have to look for where the fire got enough air to get that hot.

Comment

I’m surprised there was enough air to support a grease fire.

Comment

Aah the ol' fat fire always gets exciting, had my gasser flare up big time recently, it got my skates on!!

Comment

well i cooked a rack of ribs (THURDAY) and i had a heck of a time controlling the temp. after 3 hours at 225 and lower (because of the temp just kept on climbing) and i remembered Mosca post. I have a vision s series with 2 wheel type intake wheels. so after i put the ribs in the oven to finish i closed all the vents (temp 325) and watch how fast it came down, and it took over a hour to get to 275! so last night i put a light in the egg and closed the lid and looked for any light coming through. and boy was i surprised! the right intake vent was showing a lot of light coming from the top radius.so i pushed on it and it moved in and then i opened it or turned it to the right and the thing just moved toward me and the whole wheel just kind of felted really loose and i pulled on the thing and it came out 3/8 of i inch! I wish i had taken some pictures. in this s series u can remove the front and dump the ash. this was the problem with it on my first cook because i could not get it below 325 and i taped the whole thing because it did not seal and had so much air (leaks) that with all vents close it would keep climbing. so i had to take all the duct tape off and low and behold when i pulled out the pan the nut that holds on the wheel and there was only 1 thread that held the it on. the spring that was behind the nut was just expanded and loose. i looked on the other one on the left it was half off. so out came the lock tight.I put it back together and now doing a test run and after 3 hours its looking good. NEVER a dull moment with this vision egg!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Planner47; October 10, 2020, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• surfdog
                    surfdog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, nothing like having a vent open that you thought was closed...
                    Hopefully the fix solves it.

• Planner47
                    Planner47 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    started a test this morning at 225 and then warmed up ribs from Thursday at 225 for supper at 4pm and its still going now at 186(10 pm est). top vent at 1.5 and bottom at 3 and 8. i think i got it!
                    Last edited by Planner47; October 10, 2020, 09:18 PM.

Here is the new and improve up grade brought to you by GORILLA tape!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here