Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bison Ribeyes and Flank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bison Ribeyes and Flank

I am getting down to the last of the bison I ordered a couple weeks ago. So far I have had bison burgers, smoked bison short ribs, and bison tri tip. Today it was time for the bison ribeye and flank.

Cooked these on my PK with a chimney of lump flipping every 20-30 seconds. Since bison is much leaner than beef I was shooting for about 5-10 degrees lower than what I would do with the same beef cuts. 120 for the ribeyes and 125-130 for the flank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	378.9 KB
ID:	918415

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	918416

Here is the flank

Name:	20200930_184044.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	918417

And the ribeye

Name:	20200930_184135.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	918418

Served with a few potato wedges and a couple pieces of broccoli. 2 is the minimum I have to take to 1. not get yelled at and 2. be an example for the kids.

Name:	20200930_184519.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	918419

I have never really had bison other than a burger years ago. Overall I have to say I loved it. Definitely a different taste than beef but not different enough to be gamey or anything like that. It is a bit more mineraly and a bit sweeter. The overall flavor is much more complex than beef too. All the cuts I had were excellent but the flank and ribeye were awesome. Can't wait to eat more bison!.

Cool, thanks for sharing! I’ve never had bison, but would love to try.

Comment

Looks great. Love Bison meat. You are correct, need to cook to a lower internal temp. Great job!

Comment

Meat and taters do look edible. Real Edible. Like eat now edible. Excuse me I have to go put some meat on the grill now.

Comment

Loves me some bison, we grow em here!

Looks like ya did yers some justice, nice job!

Yup, definitely some sweetness there...

Comment

That flank looked great! I’ve had a bison ribeye once, it was great as well!

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

10-4 I've had Bison burgers on a few occasions years ago.
              Hard to find but very tasty.
              There was a farm raising Bison over in western Ontario don't know if he's still around or not.

Comment

Man! Looks like you absolutely nailed that cook. I've only had bison burgers, twice I think, and both times they were over cooked and dry. Those steaks look juicy! Nice work pitmaster.

Comment

Beautiful shots! Nicely done. (Notice I didn't say "well done")

Comment

Beautiful! I have only had bison burgers, but they were good. Better half is not that adventurous though, so I'll have to get some and cook it for one at some point.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here