Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket fail

I did a humbling cook today, an epic brisket fail. I set the goals high - tried out a new brisket from Scotland, a PGI (protected geographical region) named "Scotch Prime Beef Brisket". Grass fed, low antibiotics, free ranging et.c. But the brisket looked funny. It looked like it was all point. After thawing it turned out to be almost the opposite. It was a very long and very large flat. The point was super thin in certain areas. I trimmed it hard and separated point and flat.

I smoked the point in my Big Green Egg with the Smobot as temp controller to automate things. I smoked the flat on my Weber kettle with the Pit Viper and FireBoard 2 to automate that grill. Smooth sailing I thought.

I used black pepper only as rub.

The temp ran away on me in the BGE, from 250 to 300 to 380, even though the top vent was fully closed. I smoked the point in 4 hours, no wrap.

The flat took forever, and even dropped in temp. After 8 hours (and wrapping) I gave up, that one's heading for the trash can.

I don't know what went wrong, need to contemplate on this, but man this went south.

The brisket

Click image for larger version

Name:	brisket-fail-1.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	918160

Before trimming

Name:	brisket-fail-2.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	918157

The flat + point. See that flap? That's the point (supposedly)

Name:	brisket-fail-3.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	918158

The flat

Name:	brisket-fail-4.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	918159

The point

Name:	brisket-fail-5.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	918161

The cookers

Name:	brisket-fail-6.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	918163

The point. At least that one looks edible. Was probe tender too.

Name:	brisket-fail-7.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	918162

Well....you know the Scottish, if some the Scottish cattle are like some of the Scottish people things are bound to be difficult.
    Chalk it up to some slab of meat they passed off as brisket or the proverbial tough old bull they finally slaughtered after 30 years of service.
    Win some, lose some.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Good way of seeing it. Thanks, I needed that. After all I have smoked _many_ briskets, and this one didn’t look right.

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug. Which reminds me, do you know what's the last thing to through a bug's mind after it hits your windshield? Its butt.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha ha ha! Thanks Captain!

That looks typical of an Argentine brisket except they are thinner and leaner than yours.
    Just got back from shopping and hit the guys at the meat counter up for a brisket. They chose the biggest one and after trimming was 4 kilos (8.5 lbs).
    I left it there and didn't buy it.
    I only trim the fat down to 1/4" and leave as much on as possible. You have watched too many comp brisket trimming videos where they have huge well marbled briskets and no problems trimming off all the fat as there is plenty inside.

Grass fed may have good flavor but sucks for making juicy fatty brisket slices.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      This was given to me. But even before trimming there wasn’t enough ‘good fat’. I’m gonna stick to my regular briskets, I have yet to fail those.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats why I rarely get to cook brisket here ours are far worse looking than that.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Our grass fed briskets from our cattle always end up as pastrami. And yes they seem to always have much more flat, and much less point than normal from corn feed steers. Leaner and smaller is always the case with grass fed as well.

How much single malt did you have?
    I'm assuming that smoking scottish brisket requires Scottish whiskey.

What temp did your flat get to before you pulled it?
    Was it just taking a long time? Or did it juts not get tender?
    ​​​

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      It hit 67 Celsius. Then it started backing down. But the bark didn’t form right, and took on a green hue. So I tossed it.

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Never seen a green brisket before.......
      Tossing was probably the right move

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Henrik I think they slipped you and Irish brisket!
      Last edited by ofelles; September 30, 2020, 11:08 AM.

This happens to the best of us.

Move on and keep the smoke rollin!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Word.

Well don’t feel too bad. I have made just three briskets in my entire bbq life and screwed them all up badly. All three ended up in the trash. That fact has made me gun shy on brisket. Haven’t even tried one in about 7-8 years. With the prices shooting up on this cut it is even harder to muster up the courage.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Nah, the brisket looked funny from the start. And I didn’t pay for it (sponsored). But I’ll stick with my regular supplier.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually, brisket prices are now down below where they were in January... time to try again! . I guess I've been luck and had all my briskets come out, after being scared to do one for decades, and doing my first about 3 years ago.

A bad brisket usually still makes really great chili...just sayin

Not that I've ever cooked anything less than a perfect slices drape over your finger fully intact dripping juicy goodness everywhere brisket before personally. I don't know what this trash talk is Henrik and Jfrosty27.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol!

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      🤣😂

If someone like Henrik has trouble with a brisket, what chance does someone like me have? This is disappointing, especially when you're looking forward to a great meal and it doesn't turn out so great.

Comment

When my cook fails I turn it into a braise and let it rip. Perhaps a nice shred after the bath. Even chunkage will work. Add cheese, roll it and fry it!

Pull it out of the trash. It’s wrapped right?

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, but it had a green hue, so it stays there.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Ugh! Maybe it’s that Scottish moldy moss the cheap whiskey tastes like. 😬

Gonna have to pass on the green hue 👍

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      I have had a few with a green hue... Didn't look right but smelled ok.

Next time...

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup!

I'm all for being a frugal cook, but I draw the line at dealing with green meat. Sounds like the trash was the best and safest place for it.

You have my sympathy, Henrik. May your next brisket be wonderful!

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Unless your Dr.Suess then green food is fun!
      But yes, let the racoons get the tummy ache.

Man, how disappointing for you. I would be super excited about the chance to cook a cool Scottish brisket and then really grumpy about the outcome. But you did make the right decision to get rid of the green stuff.

Comment

I hate when that happens....Remember the only people who don't make mistakes are the people who don't do anything.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        So true.

Are you sure it wasn't Sheep? I've heard things about Scotsmen and Sheep.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol!

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Only the Highlanders. Us Lowland types not so much :-)

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here