Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big bad beef rubbin’ the family the wrong way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big bad beef rubbin’ the family the wrong way

Hi all, long time user of the amazing site- finally getting serious and became a member and am fishing for some ideas.
    I made a batch and tried out the big bad beef rub on some beef ribs a couple weeks back and they turned out much to spicy for the family.
    I’m wondering if anybody has thoughts on what to do do cut the heat back, or if I need to write it off and start from scratch.
    I’m thinking I don’t want to add much more sugar based on my limited knowledge of the science but-
    Can I go nuts with the onion and garlic powder?
    ive got a brisket I’m hoping to set up for Saturday.
    thank you

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois! Use less rub- brisket is a big hunk of meat it should handle it just fine.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. You can definitely cut back on the cayenne and chipotle which will remove some of the heat when making your next batch. If using the batch you already made I would reduce the amount of the rub applied to the brisket. I personally prefer just black pepper applied to a dry brined piece of meat. Sometimes for a little something extra I also use some garlic powder.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, sometimes less is more.

Don't use so much. Let the meat shine though.

Comment

Just go with POG - pepper onion garlic

Some folks mix it 3 parts pepper, 2 parts onion, 1 part garlic.
        I like 2 parts pepper, 1 part onion, one part garlic.

It's simple but it works, especially on beef

Comment

• Schwyy
          Schwyy commented
          Editing a comment
          does your onion have a consistency of crystal nsugar or powdered sugar? my onion powder is like powdered sugar

I cut the black pepper by 3/4 (to be clear, if the recipe called for 4 parts pepper I used 1 part), but then I'm a pepper wimp.. Don't remember what I did with the cayenne, probably just left it out, because I'm a spicy food wimp too.

Comment

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          The amounts of black pepper and hotter chiles used in most rub recipes are usually too much for my tastes. Often 1/4 to 1/2 of the amounts called for in the recipe is about right for the family and me.

In my experience there is a lot of variation in the strength of black pepper depending upon how fresh it is. Pepper ground fresh from fresh corns can be a lot stronger than pepper ground from dusty, old corns and way stronger than pepper that was ground years ago and has been drying out ever since. You might have simply tapped into a good source for fresh black pepper. As others have suggested, try cutting back on the black pepper and/or switch to a less potent variety.

Comment

Originally posted by gilbertpilz View Post
          In my experience there is a lot of variation in the strength of black pepper depending upon how fresh it is. Pepper ground fresh from fresh corns can be a lot stronger than pepper ground from dusty, old corns and way stronger than pepper that was ground years ago and has been drying out ever since. You might have simply tapped into a good source for fresh black pepper. As others have suggested, try cutting back on the black pepper and/or switch to a less potent variety.
          I agree this recipe can have drastically different heat profiles based on the black pepper alone. I'd suggest using less of whatever black pepper you used, or if grinding your own use the same measure but grind the pepper so the pieces are bigger.

Comment

I alway use about half the cayenne or chipotle pepper in any recipe I make since spicy foods do not go over well in my household.

Comment

Welcome to The Pitmaster Club! Thank you for the support.

I would cut back on the black pepper. You can also leave out the ancho or Cheyenne pepper.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I'm not big on pepper from Wyoming.... ;-)

Welcome to the Pit! Good luck with that brisket! Be sure to take us with you with pictures!

Comment

Hmmmm.... my wife does not tolerate spicy or pepper very well. But she never complains about the spiciness or pepper when I use BBBR. 1) maybe not use as much 2) Add more Cumin. Got this tip from another poster and I really like it. Cumin seems to mellow it out more.

Comment

Don't keep the paprika and cayanne pepper in like bottles.....man, that was fierce.

Comment

• Steve R.
                    Steve R. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That'll burn you twice! 😭

I'll just welcome you from Western Massachusetts. Plenty of good advise already provided. Good luck with the brisket.

Comment

Welcome aboard! I personally just use pepper and garlic powder on brisket. I do it in equal parts. For a reasonable sized brisket, I need about 5 tsp of each for my flavor profile.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here