Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib Questions

At what internal temp do you remove the prime rib from the smoker/grill?

Do you allow for any carryover cooking?

Have you ever used a Santa Maria Seasoning to coat the prime rib?

Depends on how you like it really. Follow the temp chart from the free side as a guide. And figure on some carry over while it rests. 5-10 degrees.

Comment

115°F

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Xmas Prime.jpg Views:	28 Size:	1.69 MB ID:	915829
        This was pulled at 124F, verifying the wired probe with an instant read, as I remember. What you see is what was remaining after two ribs were cut after a 15 minute rest.

I've used tons of rubs. I've always used mesquite charcoal for Prime Rib with mesquite chunks, and always have dry-brined with coarse kosher salt, wrapped in butcher paper and pulled from the 40F fridge after ~ 10 hours. A bunch of cooks led me to sticking to this.

My wife likes meat to 'look' done, so keep that in mind. I myself can go a bit more rare. My recommendation is based on an indirect grill-only cook. There's SO MANY ways to prepare Prime Rib - sous vide coming to mind for really accurate control.
        Last edited by JGo37; September 25, 2020, 08:59 AM.

Comment

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          I would be smoking this on the Kettle with the SnS and searing either over the direct coals or using the Searzall.

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          I cook mine at 225F in the oven (actually a Breville Smart Oven) until it's about 121F. (The wife doesn't like smoked beef.) I use McCormick's Montreal Chicken rub on mine and haven't had the need to sear. The long cook time forms a great crust.

I do the same with top round ("London Broil") and slice it thin for sandwiches.
          Last edited by mgaretz; September 24, 2020, 08:35 PM.

The higher you cook it, the more carryover you will get. If you go 225*, you might get 5* of carryover, or even less. If you go 250*-275*, you’ll get 10* or so.

I pull mine at 130*, because almost all my guests like medium or more done. As you saw, though, I get very little carryover. I toss slices over the fire, or in a quick frying pan, to get the more done pieces.

Cow crust, spg, Montreal, garlic and rosemary... I’ve used a lot of different rubs. Cow crust is my latest fave.

Comment

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info on carryover. Make sense. I will watch the temp.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          In my example, remember that I said a lot of it is learning to think on your feet. I ended my cook by shutting down my fire completely because I needed another half hour, so less carryover: I was coming off a low oven temp. If I had needed it done faster, and had bumped it to 325 or 350, I might have gotten more. The more roasts you do, the more you learn.

And, your guests will always say it was great, and they will always come back. Just get it close is fine, and save the info for next time.
          Last edited by Mosca; September 25, 2020, 01:02 AM.

I pull prime rib at 110°F - wanna leave plenty of room for a good sear.

Most beef I cook gets only salt and pepper, but prime rib is outstanding with Mrs O’Leary’s Cow Crust. Recipe is on the main site. Follow Meatheads guide and you’ll have the best prime rib ever!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here