Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Try Breaking Down 24 Pound Chuck Roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Try Breaking Down 24 Pound Chuck Roll

A while back when meat $ were a bit high, we didn't want to pay the going prices for chuck, ground chuck for hot dogs and hamburger patties, making boneless rib pastrami, etc. So, I picked up an almost 24 pound choice chuck roll from Restaurant Depot at $3.25 per pound. After a few youtube videos, I tried my hand at breaking it down. Turned out to be pretty easy, and we got the cuts proportioned the way we wanted at an average $3.93 per pound. Here's a few pictures:

The vacuum packed chuck roll after wet aging 50 days after the labeled pack date:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	roll.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	914634

The chuck eye roll and underblade separated:

Name:	first cut.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	914635

Final break down:

Name:	cut.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	914636

The resulting yield:

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	914637

And, even the scrap got used to make a quart of salt and fat free broth.

Brilliant.

Comment

Impressive

Comment

Satisfying achievement. Good job Sir.

Comment

That's why the Pitmaster Club is the best. I had this idea recently, and my wife thought I was crazy. Not only am I not alone, John beat me to it and documented it!

Comment

Still have all ten fingers? I enjoy trimming meat but would really need help doing that. Congrats!

Comment

It was intimidating for me but I too found it much easier than I expected.

Comment

Schwyy - There are a lot of videos on how one or another person breaks the chuck roll down. Here's the one I mostly used because I specifically wanted to get the boneless chuck ribs for making pastrami.

Another one that I liked was from the Chop Shop : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEF7Qrz5DJ4&t=460s - its more entertaining.

The Pastrami came out great.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pastrami.jpg Views:	0 Size:	157.2 KB ID:	914908

So did the hot dogs:

Name:	dogs.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	914911
              Last edited by johnec00; September 22, 2020, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• Schwyy
                Schwyy commented
                Editing a comment
                looks amazing, I have a restaurant depot right down the street from me as well. might have to take a stroll!

• tedsalt
                tedsalt commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a great idea. Membership in KCBS gets you day passes to Restaurant Depot.

Awesome job! I'm just starting to get into buying packers, full cuts, etc., at low prices to get great cuts while saving $$. It's exciting!

Comment

I really enjoyed seeing that Chop Shop video, johnec00 . I'm always mesmerized by knifework like that.

This would be fun to try, although no Restaurant Depots in sight where we live. I may just have to continue to enjoy doing it vicariously through this topic. Thanks for starting it.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here