Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not a Fail, but a Major Disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a Fail, but a Major Disappointment

I picked up a Picanha from Porter Road a while back and have been excited to make it. I researched a few recipes on how to cook it traditionally, how it's cut and skewered, etc. I dry brined this for a few hours, added just fresh pepper and garlic powder pre cook and spit roasted it. While it was spinning I made some chimichurri. I was started to drool when I checked it a couple times during the cook, it looked and smelled so well.

However, in the end it was a pretty big disappointment. It had good flavor, but was kinda tough and chewy and even a bit gristly. Family was not impressed. I don't know if this is just Picanha or if I drew the short straw on my order? Needless to say, probably not going to be on the list of cuts to spend a fortune on again. I thought this was the same cut that our local grocery chain cuts sirloin strips out of, which we really like.
    Attached Files

In the end it’s sirloin. Very flavorful yes, but I prefer and have posted vids with steaks. Steaks are great but man you gotta pull them quick and eat them when you think their ready. No rest really needed for steaks.

I am sorry this happened to you. If you get a good price, Wagyu sirloin and a nice sort of turn, turn, turn pull technique works well To heat them through.

I just kinda baby them or they can get tough n chalky.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve made a lot of different sirloins, just not the cap like this. I would say texture wise it was more like what is labeled Sirloin Tip roasts/steaks which isn’t really sirloin. Wagyu Sirloin filets from SRF are maybe the best steaks I’ve ever cooked of any cut, but they’re also the only Wagyu steaks I’ve ever made.

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Try their Wagyu tri tips they're fantastic reverse seared.

looks good, very good
    I hate it when that happens. I smoked some beef ribs, looked great, first bite was 5 stars and went down hill with each bit.

Comment

When I've done them I always slice thin layers off as it cooks rather than cooking it all the way through. I believe that's the traditional cooking method.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bbht9q7u_Lhmd9Xd06aHmy1mXtcyaOuq8It93CxqZI7CJVlwNPf5d45RPm8CM7uytMfAzjbCBqAy2UpdB5Q-hkc9X8yQqfdLN4ZVu0iCeelEyXTG5AHGHdLBap1eKxj2riXQy2oneVCwPSsGDkz2h5kGaMHhXw-RVu7YFtq5i2DNGBytMvwWtbCCrHGG21ajzyxiO_R_uVXCi3S45vwjbFYy1VjE9jZYo2lVQnzSVq2rwHunkM-Y35JnyCVpF1u
Views:	305
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	912009

Click image for larger version

Name:	lNrM69t-tAyOPtVlwA-bykUzWJiSJTxfN4SK5ro4bikn2DqESkiqEBXHSe-TAhoXz5dj4ZQlskMGzZSH_c0x5muNkNP7xdASiF5mrS-13xu7k10SPi7KpbCRjxGTL7fU7vycmsXCJv6EwxgXPTJS7eNrmJ3uDp8cQcJw5z9O3lL0ctcvM4QkMKqPYzPqF0NUsRyuJMH1DqR4HWfdolvU4jvooRR8xuYSa405Z0ady6irQuAWyqqEez8nAMwUi2U
Views:	302
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	912010

Comment

Bummer. I have only had this cut once. My son did it on his kettle with the slow and sear. Indirect to about 120 then seared Right over the coals to 135. Turned out perfect. I guess you could say he did it like a steak.

Comment

Sorry you didn’t get what you were hoping for. I’ve only made one, so I don’t have a ton of experience, but I did research and came to the decision to steak out the roast and cook that way. I enjoyed it, my wife didn’t care for the fat cap and perhaps that’s because I didn’t get it as buttery as I could have but I didn’t want to overcook.

I couldn’t find these but on mail order for a year or so, but I’ve now seen picanha in the grocery stores, so I’ll try again. maybe it was just the specific roast you got as well.

but, I do think they are over priced. Although one I saw at the market where my lake house is, it was priced like a roast. I still can’t believe I didn’t buy it.

Comment

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            now it's your 'rosebud'... (your last words, or word...)

I have done quite a few Picanha's on my PK with the Carson Rodizio and on one of my Holland gassers.
          Both completely different cooks.
          On the PK with the Rodizio Attjack. depicts the perfect cut size for the Picanha on a rotisserie.
          On the Holland gasser I grill the Picanah whole. Fat cap down for 30 min then flip for another 30 mins or until internal temp is between 122°- 130°F. Slice across the grain.
          Never bought from PR usually bring mine up from Fl when visiting. Also never had one that was "gristly". Have had some that were better than others and mainly the ones I did not care for I over cooked upon request.
          Sad to hear you had a bad experience, however I hope you give it another shot. Picanha has become one of my favorite cuts and I enjoy it more than Tri-tip.

Comment

I may be the odd one out, but I've made many picanhas, including teaching how to cook it in bbq classes. I always cook it whole, in one piece.

Let it cook on indirect heat (130° C / 265° F) for almost an hour. When internal temp is 54-56° C (129-133° F) I remove it from the grill for a few minutes while I stoke the fire.

Now sear it for 30-60 seconds per side (top and bottom).

I pay very close attention when searing the fat cap, as it's gonna go up in flames very quickly. But: if you sear it for 30+ seconds it will get nice color without setting the whole thing on fire.

Let it rest on the cutting board for 10 minutes and slice it across the grain. I serve it with flaked sea salt and lot's of lime juice. Incredibly juicy and tasty every time.

The nice thing about cooking it this way is that it is very hard to overshoot on temp.

Comment

That's been my experience with tri tips, different but similar. Everyone raves, but out of 6 I've cooked only 1 was awesome, the rest tough and gristly. Even when I SV'ed them, didn't matter.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
                Oak Smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                That's been my experience with tri tips also. I'm still waiting on the awesome one.

• Parkin
                Parkin commented
                Editing a comment
                I always have good luck with Tri-Tips when i SV them....up to temp then a few seconds per side on some super hot cast iron on the grill....

I had the same issues with tri-tip as well. It cooked faster than I thought it would, and came out pretty chewy.

Comment

Most tri-tip I've cooked (many) were great but had a couple of lemons. That's probably what Glitchy got with his Picanha.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I believe you're 100% right.

Rio Grande do Sul is the Texas of South America. Or at least that's how Evandro Caregnato describes the Brazilian state. And he should know. He grew up

Comment

According to Gugu of Sous Vide Everything (1:59 in the video), many butchers try to sell a part of the cap which is the 3rd vein forward. In Brazil they have a name for that portion but I didn't quite catch what Gugu said. It is not picanha and is tough and chewie but has a good flavor.

Comment

• Bkhuna
                    Bkhuna commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A most excellent and informative video.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here