Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri-tip on the Rec Tec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-tip on the Rec Tec

Here's the tri-tip I did last night on the Rec Tec. Rubbed with BBBR (the with salt version) and smoked at 190F to an internal temperature of 120F. Then reverse seared on the gas grill on the flat side of GrillGrates. The sliced picture only shows a portion of what I sliced.

NICE. How did it turn out as far as taste and tenderness?

Mark would you mind resharing the Memphis Dust measurements you posted a few weeks back in the Disqus comments?

Comment

Thanks David. It came out very flavorful and tender. The smoke and BBBR really makes a nice combo.

I'll put the MD measurements in the appropriate section.

Comment

Thank you Sir. As I remember you also had a few personal riffs on Memphis Dust that would be worth sharing as well.

Comment

Done and done.

Comment

Thanks. Much appreciated!

Comment

You and I must be on the same wavelength! I did a tri tip last night as well. Used BBBR, smoked on a WSM @225º to an internal temp of 130, then a quick reverse sear. Mine looked just like yours. Very yummy, too. It was the first meal I cooked after hooking up an Auber thermostatic controller to the smoker. Makes life sooo much easier; no more fiddling with the vents. Just hooked up the Maverick ET-732 with an alarm set, and went back to surfing. Gotta love modern technology!

Comment

Mark during the sear, how often did you flip? Total time you seared?

Comment

Flipped only once, about 2 minutes per side. I had the grill cranked up to the max with a good long preheat. Not sure of the exact grate temp (next time I'll get out my infrared thermometer) but tne dome temp was about 600f.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill McGrath View Post
                    ...Just hooked up the Maverick ET-732 with an alarm set, and went back to surfing. Gotta love modern technology!
                    If the thermometer guru uses the same thermometer I use, I know it's a good choice. Cheers to Maverick ET 732s...

Comment

Originally posted by mgaretz View Post
                      Flipped only once, about 2 minutes per side. I had the grill cranked up to the max with a good long preheat. Not sure of the exact grate temp (next time I'll get out my infrared thermometer) but tne dome temp was about 600f.

Mark for an incremental improvement to an awesome cook next time try flipping every minute to 75 seconds. You'll get less tan meat right under the surface. Check out this article for an explanation. http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ping_meat.html

This is a pic of the last Tri Tip I made. I used MH's Santa Maria recipe verbatim, then flipped after 75 seconds per side until the internal temp of the meat hit 130F.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3635resized.jpg
Views:	1520
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	1014

Comment

My attempt at a trip tip. Used my Weber with the Smokenator and the Party Q. 225 until 115 internal temp then transferred to my old Weber with bricks under the coal grate to raise the lit coals to within two inches of the food grate. Reverse sear for about two minutes per side; turned three times. Nom nom

Comment

I'll try that next time, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mgaretz View Post
                            I'll try that next time, thanks!

You bet. You can flip as often as once a minute. My experience is that the hotter the coals the better the exterior will brown. Since you're using a gasser just turn the gas on full blast.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here