Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "just keep flipping" method for steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "just keep flipping" method for steaks

I got this in a newsletter from Jess Pryles. I did a quick search, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot about this. RonB mentioned it in a reply to somebody about a year ago, but there's not much else. And Meathead uses it in a video that he posted on flank steaks, but that's deep in another topic, the Allen Bros deal if you want to see a great video of this technique. Here is a word-and-photo explanation.

Just keep flipping your steak. Do it every 30 seconds, do it every 15 seconds, do it as often as you can. The reason is, it never gets hot enough on one side to do anything but build up a crust. the heat doesn't penetrate, but the inside does get cooked just because it's close to the flame. I did my last flank steak that way, but I really think I could have gotten the flames a little hotter, and I could have left it on a little bit longer. So here's what it looks like.

Get that fire HOT. This one is almost too hot. The hotter it is, the more often you need to flip. But you want it really, really hot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200913_181729.jpg Views:	41 Size:	2.74 MB ID:	910757

Then flip that son on a gun. Flip it every 30 seconds, or every 10 to 15 seconds if the fire is really hot, like this one is.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200913_181851.jpg Views:	40 Size:	2.81 MB ID:	910758

You will need the longest set of tongs you have, and probably a glove as well. It gets really really hot. In this picture, I'm holding the thicker edge of the steak over the grate and holding the thinner edge up because it's pretty much done.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200913_183008.jpg Views:	41 Size:	2.86 MB ID:	910759
    And, the results are perfect, much better than the last time, if you can believe it! I got the fire hotter, and I did the steak a little bit longer, so that the inside was still perfectly medium rare and the outside had that steakhouse crust that I was going for!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200913_183053.jpg Views:	41 Size:	3.12 MB ID:	910760
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200913_183809.jpg Views:	40 Size:	2.50 MB ID:	910761
    That's it! Nothing hard about it. Throw that son of a gun ​​​​over really high heat, and just keep flipping it! Easier and faster than reverse sear, easier and WAY faster than sous vide, and you get than great steakhouse sear!

Oh, and these flank steaks from Allen Bros are da bomb. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by Mosca; September 13, 2020, 06:51 PM.

God that looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
      God that looks great.
      You don't just taste the crust, you can smell it. It's unreal.

Comment

I am a big fan of that method also. Works great. Fast n easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahumadora View Post
          I am a big fan of that method also. Works great. Fast n easy.
          Ditto. I flip so much I'm sure the Law of Diminishing Returns kicks in somewhere but if it does it's too little too late.

Comment

• N227GB
            N227GB commented
            Editing a comment
            It's incredible what a good board sauce can do for overdone steaks. Don't ask how I know. :0

Nice. I do it for thinner supermarket steaks.

Comment

• mnavarre
            mnavarre commented
            Editing a comment
            Same. Basically any steak under 1.5" gets front seared like this.

So, timing... do you just figure "I need to cook this about 8 minutes" and just flip all that time (maybe checking temps at 6)?

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            I flipped it until it looked like I wanted it to. A couple times I took it out of the fire and checked temp, the fire was way too hot to get the Thermapen near. I Was happy with 125.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I go about 20 seconds aside then flip.

I talk about being the "human rotisserie" in many recipes. Harold McGee, Kenji, and I have been advocating rapid flipping for moisture retention and to prevent the rainbow effect for years.

Comment

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll do an article on the subject. All that I have written has been included in other articles.

I have been slowly reducing the time between flips for a while now. I even do it for thicker steaks. That way I get the sear I want and if it's not up to temp, I put about 20 or so hot coals in the SnS and scoot any leftover unlit coals in the SnS next to the hot coals. That allows me to go slow until I hit my temp.

This works great for thin chops - especially if you cook from frozen. And it works great for burgers if ya grind your own. You can get a nice med or med rare.

For skinless chix, I flip a little slower 'cause I want it to get up to a safe temp.

Post 816 on this page is about average for me...

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice. Very impressive!

If I am cooking a few big thick steaks on the stove with a cast iron pan I do the same flipping multiple times. Cooking partially one at a time in the pan then swap it out with the other steaks on the bench. That way it cooks evenly and all steaks are done near the same time so we can all eat together as a family. This method also works for cooking steaks from frozen.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            I was teaching this round robin method in my bbq class last week. Great minds think alike!!

Interesting, Meatheads comment about a human rotisserie. I just did such with some bulk Creekstone sirloins, 1” or a little less, about a month ago on my Napoleon IR side burner. About 20 to 30 seconds a flip, two of em. I brought them to 125-7, plated them. My wife loved the "bark " as she said. They were quite good at MRare.

Comment

My big rectangular box, Dutch, is perfect for a rapid flip high heat sear center with plenty of space to line up all the rest of the dinner slabs, so we can eat together. Thanks for this post! I can't wait to try this out as soon as I can - time to check the freezers and see if I can do this by Tuesday...

Every post these days I just have too many ideas.... to quote Kelly Bundy, "the mind just wobbles".

Comment

I was at the hunting camp this weekend, cooked steaks on my Weber kettle w/ SnS. I slow cooked to 115F infernal. Then did a modified cold grate technique. I flipped the steaks (and rotated grate) every 20-30 seconds. The steaks were terrific. Best crust I’ve done that wasn’t on cast iron. I’m glad you posted this(and I clicked on it). Great minds think alike or something like
              that.

Comment

Looking good enough to eat. I'll give it a try.

Comment

One reason for doing this is that according to Kenji the steak cooks up to 30% faster, since heat is applied to both sides (kind of) at the same time due to the flipping. Either way, I do this too for thin steaks. Superb.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here