Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Beef Cheeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Beef Cheeks

My local butcher had some beef cheeks, so I bought a bunch. Tougher than a brisket, but 100% made for low 'n slow cooking with oak wood. I kept this cook simple, but it still takes 7 hours. But the flavors? Out of this world.

Ingredients
    6 beef cheeks
    4 tbsp conc. beef stock
    100 grams/3.5-4 oz real butter
    4 tbsp beef rub

Instructions
    Trim up them cheeks real good. They need to be cleaned up, and it's gonna hurt (mentally) when you realize how much you have to trim off.

Trimmed

Click image for larger version

Name:	smoked_beef_cheeks_raw.jpg
Views:	1031
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	909755

Apply a rub evenly all over. Smoke for 2.5 hours at 120° C / 250° F. I use oak wood for flavor.

Rubbed

Name:	smoked_beef_cheeks_rub.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	909757

Smoked

Name:	smoked_beef_cheeks_smoke.jpg
Views:	947
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	909758

Barkalicious!

Name:	smoked_beef_cheeks_grill.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	909756

Now drop the cheeks in a disposable aluminum pan, and drizzle with the beef stock and butter. Seal the deal with aluminum foil and place back on the grill. Keep grilling until internal temp hits 95-98° C / 203-208° F.

All buttered up

Name:	smoked_beef_cheeks_wrap.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	909759

Move the pan (unopened) to a faux cambro and let it rest for 1 hour.

Open the package and start pulling the cheeks, mixing it all with that rich, buttery saucy goodness.

I served it on a soft tortilla with some finely chopped red onion, cilantro and lettuce. Dang tasty.

Delish!

Name:	smoked_beef_cheeks.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	551.2 KB
ID:	909760

Perfect as always Henrik Love me some beeks cheeks. For me heavy on the salt n pepper and smoke. They can take a lot of it. Yes. you are right get that internall temp waay up there to turn that tough tendons into beef Jelly. Excellent presentation...

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Craig! Yup, smoked them up real good, and went heavy on the rub. And all that butter didn’t hurt either 😄

MMMMMM!

Looks great. How do you handle beef tongue (aka lengua)? I suspect a similar treatment would work with it.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Good question, I have never cooked one :-)

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Henrik is going to find out soon!! Beef tongue pastrami on a soft bread roll with chimichuri.......

Matt Pitman, Meat Church, did a video on beef cheeks. If you want a visual.
    Another entry for my BBQ Bucket List.

Comment

Awe yeah!! I gotta find me some of those...they look fantastic!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! And yes!

I made this once! Have to do it again

Comment

I need to get cooking. Those look pretty amazing

Comment

Looks great, another cut of meat I'd like to try.
          Never seen it here but never looked either, like most most likely ground up into hamburger meat.

Comment

Posting about cooking something unusual has a similar effect as someone posting about their cooker you don’t own. The want to cook some.

Comment

Reading this at 2200 makes me hungry and makes intermittent fasting challenging! Nicely done.

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol, thanks!

That's looks so great that I am on the road to try it when I see it, buy it. You've got a lot of things going on there - Chicano, Viet, Santa Fe influences. I wonder what a bit of hot pepper and fish/soy sauce would do. Please send some! I think it would do well in Boston Lettuce wraps and ditch the tortilla?

Regardless, your cook takes my imagination so many unexplored places - thanks for the post!

What is the equivalent to Boston or butter lettuce where you are?

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! It’s called Batavia lettuce here.

• JGo37
                JGo37 commented
                Editing a comment
                I suggest trying a Batavia lettuce wrap as well as the tortilla. Just adjust what you have by adding Jalo's, a srirachi fish sauce soy drizzle, carrot shavings, then wrap. But I want yours too!

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                I wouldn’t go with Batavia (or Boston) lettuce, it is too soft in texture. This wrap needs lettuce with a bit more crunch in my opinion.

It's pretty difficult to find beef cheeks around my area. I do know of one market about 2 hours from my place that has them, so I stock up when I'm in the area. SVQ for tacos (tacos de cachete).

Comment

Originally posted by Bkhuna View Post
                It's pretty difficult to find beef cheeks around my area. I do know of one market about 2 hours from my place that has them, so I stock up when I'm in the area. SVQ for tacos (tacos de cachete).
                I found them at Costco Business Center. I gave them a whirl but too challenging. I punted and gave them to a friend whose wife is Mexican, and she cooked them up beautifully for tacos.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by zzdocxx; September 13, 2020, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Bkhuna
                  Bkhuna commented
                  Editing a comment
                  zzdocxx - Hispanic meat markets usually carry things like flap meat, beef cheeks, flank and shanks at a price lower than US grocery stores. Plus they often have things like rabbit that you won't find at the Supermarket. If you have a Puerto Rican market than you will almost always find huge discounts on pork shoulders.

I always carry a ice chest with me on my ramblings around the farming areas of central and south Florida because I never know what I'll run into.

• zzdocxx
                  zzdocxx commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Totally cool, what fun. Yeah I put a cooler and some ice in the back of the 4Runner yesterday, didn't use it and we don't have any PR groceries here. But Filipino, Vietnamese, Lao, Thai, Mexican, Korean. Trouble with the asian ones is that I have no idea what half the stuff is.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Have long many years always kept a cooler in my vehicles; lived way out like 10 miles offa th blacktop...only way to git refrigerated/frozen products home safely...

Jus ask FireMan ,he gots my six on this, veracity-wise. Jus don't imply that it might be a Poll lol

This is pretty close to Pig Snoot.

Comment

Were these smiling or frowning beef cheeks? Frowning would give you more muscle since it takes more to frown.

Comment

• zzdocxx
                    zzdocxx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You so crazy!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here