Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide brisket. I am going to try it. Comments on my plan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide brisket. I am going to try it. Comments on my plan?

OK, I plan to separate point and flat and maybe cut flat in half to get it in the bags. But first, dry brine and before sous vide injecting with my normal secret stuff and a bit of liquid smoke. No Prague salts (forget the smoke ring). Then sous vide at 155 for 36 hours and straight to an ice water bath.

Then I plan to fire up the smoker like 3-4 hours before cooking. Take the cold (cooked) briskie out and cover with my usual rub and hit it at 225F to get the bark going... make sure it is up to say 120-130 F internal and a dark bark. Then done.

Your thoughts? I just need to try something radical.

That temp should give you a fairly traditional brisket texture. I recommend medium rare QVQ. Troutman and Polarbear777 have written quite a bit about it. It’s much more radical!

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Speaking of Troutman, has he been around here lately?

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      treesmacker His last activity was yesterday but he hasn’t posted in a month. Definitely missing Troutman ‘s contributions around here. Hoping he’s ok.

I do same plan. Initial smoke to no higher than 130 F internal, then bag and do 135F by 72 hours. Then ice bath and chill and finish on the smoker up to 130-135.

155 will net you a pretty traditional texture/moisture. Nothing wrong with that and SV can help with schedule. However since beef is well done at 140 I like to keep it under that to retain as much moisture as possible. Longer time at the low temp is required for the same collagen breakdown/tenderization.

“Two-Week QVQ Pastrami” A: 12lb packer cured into corned beef, 5-7 days (use Blonder wet cure calculator or recipe from “Serious Eats”. https://amazingribs.

Medium rare brisket in and of itself seems to be a contradiction. We’re so used to the low and slow, take it up to over 200* succulent but well done brisket that we all strive to

Comment

Though never havin SV'd, bu tya did ask fer our thoughts...opinions...

If I was on one them TV show Competition, an they handed me a brisky SV'd @ 155° x 36 hrs, fer my desired outcome???

Me? Why I'd push it 145°-150° IT, then foil wrap, hold fer several hours , an be happy bout th carryover

Sry, my ¢2 has run out, fer this reply...

WIll be right alongside, to see how this works out, mebbe a gamechanger, who knows, Brother???
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 11, 2020, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Being as it's cooked I'd be afraid I wouldn't get enough bark. And I'd be afraid I'd be drying it out.

I'd try to get lower - ~ 200F - and keep the smoke roiling. I'd definitely wrap and cambro to build the juice profile back up.

I know you'll let us know - I'm looking forward to finding out how it turns out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here