Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib roast. Testing the camera on my new phone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib roast. Testing the camera on my new phone.

This 8+lb rib roast has been in my freezer for almost 2 years. I think it looks great!

AT&T offered me a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra for $299 with a trade in of my S8. It's 9:30 here, I have some low light from the umbrella on. This is a damn nice phone camera.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200906_203705.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	906796

Yeah, very nice pic. Nice looking roast, too.

Comment

You and my dad should talk. He just made fig cookies with figs from 2015. I'm digging the Kosher salt.

Comment

Nice Pic.

Comment

Damn nice looking roast! The heck with the phone. 🤣

Comment

I’ve been doing rib roasts for almost 30 years now, figuring Christmas and then one every few months through the year I’ve probably done close to 100. I have a commercial rub that I love, made by Fred Bernardo who retired a year or two ago, but I’ve gotten best results with Meathead’s Cow Crust. I’m not a huge fan of rosemary, but CC gives just a hint of the rosemary perfume, which makes it tantalizing. The meat’s still the star, but there’s that something about it. Just like a beautiful woman with the right scent.

This one’s going on the BGE, no smoke just the lump charcoal. I’ve rotisserie’d them to good effect, but for consistency you can’t beat low & slow with a final sear. I haven’t done a sous vide rib roast yet, but if I’d wanted to do this one sous vide I would have had to start it a day or two ago! I just started the dry brine, it goes on the heat around noon tomorrow with an ETA of 4PM. It’s going 225-250, and then at the end I’m doing that afterburner thing I did on the ribeye steak last week. Honestly I wanted to make it into a bunch of steaks, but everyone is expecting Mosca’s prime rib. Sigh. The things we do for family.
            Last edited by Mosca; September 6, 2020, 07:45 PM.

Comment

That is a good photo. We just took inventory of one of our freezers and realized we had 8 rib roasts from stocking up just after the holidays when our local store reduces the price to half off to clear stock. Kind of depressing because we usually have one whenever family or guests come and spend a few days but with Covid we haven’t had guest for going on 8 months now. Very glad you have an occasion to cook one.

Comment

• Bkhuna
                Bkhuna commented
                Editing a comment
                Our freezer died last week and we've got stuff stashed at three neighbors freezers. You can not find good upright freezers right now. Every retailer is saying it's not going to be until later in the Fall before they get any.

What gives? I wonder if it's supply, demand, or a little bit of both.

• rickgregory
                rickgregory commented
                Editing a comment
                Been wondering the same about freezers. Upright, chest, nada. Nothing is in stock.

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                Next door neighbors had a heck of a time finding a new upright to replace theirs. A combination of supply and demand and difficulties with international cargo shipping. Those incoming containers need open working ports, stevedores for unloading, and truck drivers to get them to their destinations. All were in short supply for several months.

Name:	20200907_104938.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	907041

Comment

I'm with you, Mosca . I really like cow crust on prime rib.

Comment

Name:	20200907_171348.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	907318

Comment

• Schwyy
                    Schwyy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    worth checking back through the thaw season and cook! looks amazing!

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    OMGOMGOMG
                    You hit that one out of every park in the league!!!!

• willxfmr
                    willxfmr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I can only pile on with the rest. That is a fine looking piece of meat!

You have so much experience cooking these. Would you mind sharing a step by step recipe?

Comment

Originally posted by jlazar View Post
                    You have so much experience cooking these. Would you mind sharing a step by step recipe?
                    Sure. The biggest problem when just starting out is the fear of ruining an expensive roast. I'll put something together and write it as a new topic, either later tonight or tomorrow.

Comment

• jlazar
                      jlazar commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you so much.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here