Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef short rib question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef short rib question

Picked up a slab of beef short ribs yesterday to smoke tomorrow. My butcher sells them in 3 bone sections. I noticed in Meathead's cookbook, the recipe for ribs recommends cutting a 4 rib rack in two to help expedite cooking. My question is, do I need to cut mine down anymore, either into singles or one single and a two rib section?

I'd leave as is or all singles. How thick are they?

Comment

• Omigs
      Omigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Roughly 2.5" thick

Depends on personal preference and how long you want the cook to take. I’d leave it whole. You could cut them into individual bones to get more bark and cook faster.

Comment

• Omigs
      Omigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Was hoping to be done in 10-11 hours. The cut is about 2.5" thick and 9.5" wide.

I have always done these whole. Really easy and they have always turned out great. But they do take all day. But I am retired and have nothing but time so whatever. If you decide to cut them into singles, please let us know how it goes with details and photos. Good luck.

Comment

• Omigs
      Omigs commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm hoping to have it done in about 10 hrs. Is that what you mean by all day?

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Right. 9-10 hrs has been my experience.

Single Beef Ribs have season on all sides.

Comment

So they actually cooked relatively quickly. Hit 203 in about 7 hrs, measured various spots just to make sure. Kept the weber at about 235 for 90% of the cook. Had to add more coals to the slow and sear when the meat was at 191. Smoker temp spiked to the upper 200's toward the end. In the faux cambro now.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        YUM!!!

Came out great!
      Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice work! Those look great!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here