Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen Brisket

I dug an 8# packer out of the freezer this morning and have it thawing in a water bath for the past 2 hours. Quick question.
    Can I cook from frozen which I have never done before. Also IF possible to cook from frozen do I go ahead and season as normal. (It will be partially thawed but the time I put it on.
    Suggested temp or do it like always?

8# packer, full packer brisket? I have not been able to find a packer under 12-15 lbs. What is the source of your 8#er?
    Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      Golden Belt Beef in Overland Park, KS.

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      The more I handled it the more I convinced myself it had to weigh more than 8 pounds. Stuck it on the scale after I trimmed and it came in at nearly 10 pounds. I might be stocking up on them as they are clearly mismarked.
      Last edited by Cheef; September 6, 2020, 03:59 PM.

You can certainly cook from frozen and it sounds like the exterior should be thawed enough by now for a rub to adhere. Cook it how you always do. My only concern would be have you already trimmed it?

Comment

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      I trimmed after it had set in the sink in cold water for about an hour. Didn't have a problem.

You can cook from frozen. I recently started doing that with pork butts. If you can’t get the rub to adhere, give it an hour or so on the smoker and then hit with your rub.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper 10-4 it was one of your posts that turned me on to cooking from frozen.
      Was doing a roast one day and at last second tossed on a pork butt per your instructions.
      Had my doubts but it came out perfect.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      smokin fool I had read where some other folks did that and gave it an experimental try. I had my doubts, too .... but turned out great. I plan to pack the freezer with pork butts and briskets ready to go on the smoker!

My dream is to have a freezer full of meat already trimmed and rubbed and ready for the smoker. Of course someone else did the trimming.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I have two pork butts that are trimmed, brined, and have MMD on them .... wrapped and frozen. Just waiting on me. Calling my name. Demanding fire and smoke.

It was partially frozen (middle) when I put it in the PG500 at 275*
    It has been 5 hours.
    Thickest part which was frozen is now at 150*
    2 other probes are reading 160*, and 175*
    I am really surprised the frozen caught up so quickly.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Love to see how it turned out

No problems doing frozen Brisket (or other cuts) Ony tough part is trimming and getting the rub to stick.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      What I did with the pork butts (and going to do with briskets) is dry brine for 24 hours, then apply the rub, give it about an hour in the refrigerator. Then I wrapped and put in the freezer.

tWell we are at 9 hours in and both probes reading 200+
    One is at 202.3 and one at 202.4.
    Unwrapped, and still not completely probe tender.
    Wrap it or let it ride until it probes tender?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      The bark is likely all I would need/want, I'd wrap and get to 205 and if still not probe tender just give it a good hot rest in a 170 oven for 2 hours.

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      finally probed nicely at 206.
      double wrapped in foil, wrapped in towel and into the insulated cooler for a few hours.
      We will see in the morning.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here