Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butcher Box Curve Ball (Flat Iron Steaks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butcher Box Curve Ball (Flat Iron Steaks)

So Butcher Box keeps pitching me these curve balls in the form of their flat iron steaks. Each "unit" is four pieces of meat - two roughly 4" x 2-1/2" pieces that are, on average, a little less than 1" thick and two 4" long chunks that are about 1-1/2" on a side (i.e. as thick as they are wide). I'm always on the fence about how to cook these steaks. They seem a little on the thin side for a reverse sear but they seem a little on the thick side to just crank the heat and flip, flip, flip. I've tried the later and had okay results but, as everyone in this site seams to agree, "okay" isn't what we're after.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
    Last edited by gilbertpilz; September 5, 2020, 09:13 AM.

Welcome from Maryland. These cuts might be a candidate for front searing in a cast iron skillet. Front sear and then place skillet in a low oven (200-225) til internal is a a few degrees lower than desired final temp. Just a thought but we get good results this way when faced with a not so perfect cut of steak.

Comment

• gilbertpilz
      gilbertpilz commented
      Editing a comment
      My first problem is I don't have a cast iron skillet. I gave up on cast iron years ago in frustration over trying to keep it properly seasoned and the attendant sticking issues.

Leaving that aside, I'm also ignorant about "front searing". I get that you heat the skillet to the point where it will sear the meat but what do you do after the meat is seared? Do you take it out and allow the skillet to cool down before putting it in the oven?

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Skillet straight from the stove into the oven. Check with an instant read thermometer to determine when to pull. Pull before your desired finished temp to account for carryover cooking.

Don’t overthink it. Just grill it if it’s 1” thick. If ya got the char you want, but underdone just slide it over and finish indirect.

I'm doing a flatiron steak this week (1.7 lb) and going to grill it and serve with a chimichurri sauce. Easy peasy.

Comment

Welcome to the pit.....to help you with your dilemma, I suggest you send them to me

but, the flat iron cut is my favorite. I go low and slow and bring them to about 15-20* below my target temp then sear like you mentioned, flip, flip flip flip..... until I’m at my target temp.

I really like Oak Ridge BBQ’s Carne Crosta rub on flat iron cuts. Really good!

have fun with these.

Comment

Direct heat flip flip flip. Slice up for fajitas.

Comment

Flat irons are the only cut I sousvide first and finish over direct heat. Becoming one of my preferred cuts.

Comment

I just cook em in my cast iron. You want them rare. I pull them at about 117f then let them rest. (Not long before I eat em straight off the cutting board). They are not thick so no use messing with them any other way.

Comment

I love FI’s. Like Ahumadora I do them hot and fast either in a cast iron skillet, my blazing hot mini gasser, or now my 17” flat top. Cook to rare-medium rare. Only takes a few minutes per side. Then tacos, fajita, or just by itself. Yum.

Comment

Sous vide. 131 for 1.5 hours followed by drying off with paper towel, oiling up with avocado oil, sprinkling with a bit of tasty steak rub and flash searing.

Kathryn

Comment

My new favorite steak. I let them sit in a puddle of Worcestershire sauce while the coals get hot. The Weber kettle is set up with a SnS topped with Grill Grates flat side up. When the the griddle is rippin hot, I put the steaks on - listen to that sizzle - flip, flip, flip 30 sec between. They're in the low 130's after about 3-4 minutes and that's done. Slice thinly across the grain onto a crusty sub roll with fresh tomatoes. Yum.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here