Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First attempt at Short rib plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First attempt at Short rib plate

I am very new at smoking low and slow and have only attempted a baby back ribs and also a brisket point cut on my 22" Weber kettle. The results were nothing to write home about but the taste was not as bad as I thought it might be.Today, I got a short rib plate and it is really big, at least I think it is - 3 bone and just under 7 pounds. I dry brined it and it is in the refrigerator anxiously waiting for tomorrow (actually, I am the one who is anxiously waiting). I have been reading as many posts on the short rib plate as I can and there seem to be a number of different ways to do this. I was really impressed with Troutman's Dino rib write up. I am thinking of trying to follow his methodology but I am also hoping that others will be able to give me help and advice. This plate looks too good to be screwed up. I wish I had found this site many years ago but I am hoping that I will be able to make good use of it for a number of years to come. I am going to try and upload a picture and hopefully will have some success with that

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200901_165749.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	904530

First, DINO RIBS! I love them! Second, follow Troutman. That’s what I do. They turn out perfect every time. One key: patience! They are done when they are done and take a fairly long time. Good luck!

Comment

My advice is don't sweat the temp. As long as you can keep it between 225° and 275° you will be fine.

Comment

• joeeless
        joeeless commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I really am looking forward to the end result

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

Brisket on the Bone. Got to love them.

Comment

Troutman doesn't say whether or not he held the ribs after the cook and if he did, for how long. Maybe the
        omission indicates no hold

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I just let it sit for 20 minutes on the cutting board, then slice. Follow Troutman, he’s the man.

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          I always wrap and hold my plate ribs in a faux cambro for at least an hour often 2.
          And don't sweat this one they are really easy to cook. Hard to screw up.

Oh and for future reference trim as much fat off the top as possible. The dry brining doesn't penetrate the fat. and there is plenty of fat throughout that hunk o meat anyway.
          good luck with the cook.
          Last edited by Steve B; September 2, 2020, 06:31 AM.

All good advice here. One more thing: relax and enjoy the experience! Having your shorts in a wad the whole time won’t help!🤣

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          This key and great advice, my friend!

Looks great, take us along!

Comment

Pepper was running really low so I decided to use BBBR. I put it on the kettle at 10:15. Temperature at the time was just on 225. The temperature did go up and for most of the cook it was around 250/260. The last time I took the lid to take a picture, the temperature came back with a vengeance and jumped up to around 300. It stayed there for about 15 minutes or so before I could bring it back down below 275. Like Troutman, this cook only took 6 hours and the probe test went in as if it were very soft butter. Temperature was pretty much 202 all around, excepting one spot it was 199, but still tender. I was really surprised that it did finish as quickly as it did. It is sitting in the cooler waiting for my daughter to get home and then I will find out how successful (or otherwise) I was. I will report tomorrow as to how is turned out and tasted. I do have one issue that I cant figure out and that is that the bark which seemed to set up well, is not crunchy. Maybe someone can explain that t me. The following are a couple of pictures that I took along the way.

First one is just after I put on the rub and was ready to go on the kettle. The following three were taken at 2 hour intervals with the last one being what I finally ended with

Name:	Short Rib on BBQ.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	904957

Name:	Short rib after 2 hours.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	904958

Name:	Short Rib after 4 hours.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	904959

Name:	Short rib after 6 hours.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	904960

Thank you all again for your thoughts, ideas and help

Comment

That looks fantastic. Can't wait to hear what your family thought about it. You could probably fiddle with rub ingredients to get a crunchier bark. There are others here that can give you better advice. I look for good bark formation but not necessarily that it's crunchy. It will be hard to maintain that crunch if you are holding it wrapped for any length of time.

Comment

Looks spot on. Nice cook. 🙌

Comment

Oh you lost temp control because you lifted the lid for pictures???

After much thought the club members have decided that that's a sacrifice we are willing to accept!

​​​​​Keep those awesome pics coming!!!

Looks like a great cook!

Comment

Those look great!!

Comment

Yummy.

Comment

Very nice! Great writeup and pics! Sounds like you enjoyed the cook.

Comment

Great job!! Thanks for the awesome write up too! You nailed it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here