Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket - NEED HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket - NEED HELP!!!

Doing my fist brisket today before some friends come over for dinner. I had a 13lb packer to cook. Based on what I've read, I was expecting a 12 + hour cook.
    I set my traeger to 230 and put it on about 1 AM. This morning (9:30) it was 203 - 207 depending where I probed.

I wrapped it on butcher paper and put it in the oven at 150. Guests wo t arrive until 4:00. Will it dry out before then?
    Attached Files

Someone will be along with more knowledge on what to do.
    i think youll be fine though

Comment

Was it probe tender and jiggly ? I would wrap in something that will seal better than paper.

Comment

• Duckman_OK
        Duckman_OK commented
        Editing a comment
        It was JIGGLY!

I'll wrap in foil. Thanks for the advice!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, foil over that paper, faux chaux...

I have found that set temps on cookers are not actually the ambient temp at meat level. It is recommended to learn your cooker.
      I suspect your Traeger cooks hotter than set temp.

Comment

It may be fine, but ya can never tell. I agree with HawkerXP - foil will collect the juices and you can use them when you serve. One more point though - brisket does dry quickly when sliced, so don't slice in advance, and slice to order like they do in the better bbq joints.

Comment

I’ve held brisket for 5/6 hours double wrapped in foil covered in oven Mitts and towels in a cold oven
          It was still hot to touch, cut and served just fine
          And yes keep the au jus it is fantastic,
          Chanel #5 for men

Comment

THANKS GUYS!!!!

I just added a layer of foil wrap and we'll just let her sit

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Nicely done, amigo!

An all this restin time gives ya plenty advanced opportunity to git yer camera ready, fer th unveilin, later on...

Mr. Bones Here are your pics.

Overall, I'd give myself a B. It definitely didn't dry out, but the bark on one side of the brisket turned out like a roof shingle.... it was tasty though. Like brisket beef Jerky. You can see the pile of it on the left in the picture. Aside from that all went well. Thanks for the advice guys!

About that bark, what causes that? I'm wondering if it's because that piece of meat nearly covered all the area in my little traeger and was directly above the fire pot/heat source
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Duckman_OK; August 30, 2020, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• UncleSpike
              UncleSpike commented
              Editing a comment
              High Heat will do that...

You did a heap better job at your first brisket than I did, good job!!
            I've no experience with Traeger's but you mention it is a small one. My little COS can be a real hand full when cooking bigger cuts. I have to make sure the meat is regularly rotated to get it to cook evenly, otherwise I get similar over cooked spots.
            This may be the same issue you suffered here, but still a very good result for first brisket!

Comment

Sounds like your pellet grill is running way hotter at grate level than it’s reading. Also seems you’ve found where the hot spot in your grill is.
              You might try and get yourself a good thermometer to keep track of your grill temps if you don’t already have one. Your grill thermometer might just need a good cleaning? If it had a lot of buildup on it that sure could throw the temps off.
              Overall it looks like a darn nice cook to me...:congrats!!

Comment

Another reason you probably ended up with a hubcap at one end is because it’s was ready to wrap before you got to it. I don’t wrap brisket (or anything) until the bark is set - regardless of the stall. Hint: it’s always after the stall. Yet, as you were surprised to find it done you likely missed a wrapping time earlier, and this that end got overdone.

I run my pit at ~250°F and even the biggest packer is done in less than 10 hours.

As for long holds - I’ve taken my butcher paper wrapped brisket, wrapped it in foil, and left it in a warm oven for 12 hours with no problems.

Great first brisket. I’m sure you’ll enjoy many many more!
                Last edited by Santamarina; August 30, 2020, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Consider flipping smaller pieces of brisket like this part way though the cook or doing a 180 on the grill so not one area gets hot spotted for hours.
                  Purists may not agree with the flip/turn thing but it has worked for me in the past.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here