Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on 3 lb brisket flat (first ever)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• patcrail
    commented on 's reply
    jfmorris it was right at 5.5 hours: good guess! Lol 😂

• jfmorris
    replied
    patcrail Glad the wife liked it - that is the most important thing!

The 203 for probe tender sounds about right. I set the alarm on my Smoke to that for both butts and brisket for most cooks.

How long overall did the flat take to cook? I am guessing 5-6 hours?

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Looks great, and the most important thing is that the WIFE liked it, meaning you can do this again!

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Nice thinking. I have several coolers, so just use the appropriate small/medium/large cooler to hold my meat.

• Schwyy
    replied
    Reading this entire thread was like watching a TV show! twists and turns, decisions, drama... and a great ending. looks like a perfect dinner for 2. And as when you say "wife loved it" that's what we are all going for here and what cooking and BBQ is about, being able to say " (insert someone you love) loved it"

sorry if i got sappy, working on a bottle of cab sav and have a big pastrami cook planned for the weekend... a lot going on!

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Congrats!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Really nice job, as well as writeup, Brother!
    Any left?

• patcrail
    replied
    Final result: not bad! Wife loved it, it wasn’t too dry, but the thicker end was a little chewy, and the thinner end fell apart before it could slice it, so a little stringy.... but overall, DAMNED good... I’ll not try a flat again, gonna do full packer next time, but I’ll give this two thumps up for a save, if nothing else.... thanks for all your help, especially jfmorris
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• patcrail
    commented on 's reply
    @ jfmorris I hear you... I debated adding any liquid, but since the main concern with the small cut seemed to be drying it out, I went for liquid in the crutch. Wasn’t much bark to speak of, so I’m not ruining that, lol 😂.... next time WILL BE a full packer, just a rookie and didn’t realize that the small flats were a completely different cut... but I’m pig-headed, so had to try it anyway, lol 😂

• patcrail
    replied
    jfmorris : it didn’t really get probe tender till about 200-203, at which point all but the thickest part were "relatively" tender... rather than taking it higher, I closed the vents an hour ago (accidentally threw out my insulated boxes for the faux Cambro), so just figured I’d leave it wrapped and let it slowly come down.... high was 203, it’s down to 198 now after an hour, still wrapped tight....

Leave a comment:

• patcrail
    replied
    About 3 hours in, at 181, so it’s definitely cooking fast.... gonna start checking for probe tender at 190....
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    jfmorris spot on. Have a good first cook, and then improve from there.

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    patcrail I totally agree with that advice, by the way. Just saying your temp curve will definitely flatten out around 150

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    It's gonna taste like beer, haha. What's not to like?

Actually, not sure how necessary the broth is, as the meat will have juices cooking out of it. I've also used bullion a few times, but lately nothing at the wrap.

What you are doing now is braising it, which will help keep it moist, but you will have some good smoke flavor from those first 2 hours. Let's aim for bark formation the next time. For example - prep the meat and then freeze it, and put on the smoker frozen is a good trick.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    patcrail having done some 2.5 to 3 pound corned beef flats, they had a nice amount of smoke flavor by the time I moved them from the grate to the dutch oven, so I think you will be happy. This small flat is not going to be a super long cook either, maybe 5-6 hours total, versus the 14-16 hours I have on the big ones.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here