Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on 3 lb brisket flat (first ever)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    patcrail I actually got that advice about wrapping in foil at 150F from Meathead's brisket recipe over on the free side, and did my first full packer that way as well. I was more worried with not drying out than I was bark. These days I wrap at 170, but I am doing 12 to 18 pound packer briskets...

• patcrail
    replied
    So about 2 hours in, 260-270 the whole time, it’s at 150 & wrapped.... not much bark to speak of, but I’m more worried about drying out this small cut.... thanks jfmorris , we’ll see what happens.... was out of beef broth, so I added a little Budweiser in the wrap, fingers crossed

Leave a comment:

• patcrail
    commented on 's reply
    ecowper , the 150 wrap was at jfmorris suggestion because it’s so small, to keep it from drying out

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    looks good .... don't worry, about 150F that temp curve will slow right down :-)

• patcrail
    replied
    Oh yeah: BBBR plus cumin (cause everything needs cumin)

Leave a comment:

• patcrail
    replied
    It’s on the kettle & cruising along at 270.... just over an hour in, already to 125.... gonna follow advice and wrap at 150, so we’ll see
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    replied
    Can't wait to see the outcome. Let us know how it goes. Pics are called for!

For future, I agree with fzxdoc about how quickly you will go through a full packer. Here's some guidelines on what happens with a packer

1. initial full packer weighs 14 lbs
    2. after trimming fat, etc the packer weighs about 11 - 11.5 lbs
    3. after cooking, the packer weighs about 8.5 lbs, give or take
    4. two hungry people eat about 1.5 - 2 lbs at dinner
    3. 3 lbs goes to make a great chili
    4. 1 lb goes to a great brisket hash on sunday, served with home made bloody marys
    5. Freeze the remaining 3 lbs (give or take) and bring out in a month for another round of brisket :-)

While a full packer seems too big (and costly) the truth is that you get 5-6 meals out of it. Compared to buying to NY strips (and their cost) that give you just one meal, this is an outstanding value in my opinion.
    Last edited by ecowper; September 1, 2020, 03:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HouseHomey
    replied
    Add bacon and Grind it. It never disappoints.

Leave a comment:

• Jfrosty27
    commented on 's reply
    Good luck! 🤞👍

• patcrail
    replied
    Going for it today, gonna try cooking it at 250-275, wrapping about 150, and checking for probe tender about 190... we’ll see what happens

Leave a comment:

• patcrail
    commented on 's reply
    jfmorris thanks! I’ll give it a shot .... looks like tomorrow

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Probe tender will probably be in the 195-205 range, just keep an eye on it after 190. A lot depends on the quality of the meat (Prime/choice/select).

• patcrail
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks! That’s great advice on going with a little higher temp! I’m gonna give it a go, and also follow jfmorris advice to wrap at about 150.... what’s the worst that can happen? Lol 😂

• patcrail
    replied
    Thanks everyone! I obviously didn’t do enough research, & will go a different route next time—- sounds like a point of full packer are what I need for traditional smoked brisket. BUT, this is what I have to work with, & it’s already dry brined 24 hours, so I’m going to try jfmorris method and go for the traditional result, because, a) I don’t feel like spending a week Corning the thing to make pastrami, and b) I’ve never been afraid of messing up a hunk of meat, so we’ll see what happens... gonna wrap it early, start watching for probe tender at 185-190, and see what happens after probe tender and a rest.... worst case, I have a ton of hash, lol !

Leave a comment:

• patcrail
    commented on 's reply
    jfmorris , thanks! I think I’m gonna try this (wrapping at 150) and go for it, since I didn’t do my research and have already dry brined it.... next time I’ll go for a whole packet.... not ready to spend a week curing this thing to make pastrami or corned beef , otherwise I’d try that

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here