Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with half a cow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with half a cow?

We bought half a cow last year and part of my justification for buying a smoker was to make better use of many of the cuts that would otherwise get cooked in a crock pot. Here's what I have left and some of my ideas for cooking them - anyone have comments or better ideas?

Hardware available:
    Weber Genesis gasser with sear burner
    Rectec RT-700 pellet smoker

4 Chuck Roasts
    My first cook on the smoker was a chuck roast using the Smoked and Sliced Beef Chuck Roast Recipe, I think the middle wasn't completely thawed so it took longer than expected and I pulled it at 170 deg IT, but my family still gobbled it up. Planning on doing the rest of the chuck roast the same way, allowing enough time to get to 180 deg IT.

1 Sirloin Tip Roast

3 Arm Roasts - I read somewhere to cook them the same way as the chuck roast?

1 Brisket - I was going to save this for a bit until a had a few more cooks under my belt on the smoker and got to know it a bit better. Any suggestion of a good recipe for a first brisket cook?

2 Rump Roasts - I read somewhere that I can cook this like a prime rib, some suggested slicing it thin for sandwiches. My family is not really interested in either option. Beef jerky?

"Beef for Stew" - give to my wife to put in the crock pot?

The sirloin. tip, arm and rump roasts do really well cooking with sous-vide and then sear. Or do sous-vide Q and finish them on the smoker after the sous-vide and ice bath.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	299CDC84-B2DF-49E8-A7D6-49CEF6AE7EFF.jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	902481Click image for larger version

Name:	AB8A4519-1C23-4EDC-B9B1-9F6AC5F8F7C1.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	902483Click image for larger version

Name:	DA947499-9372-46D7-BA3C-487F9F075B98.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	902482 Might want to try making one of those chuck roasts into burnt ends in the Recteq RT700. I have an RT700 too and do these frequently. Really easy and very delish.

Comment

• jumbo7676
        jumbo7676 commented
        Editing a comment
        My first thought with the chuckies was also burnt ends.

• Stuey1515
        Stuey1515 commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a sensational looking cut of beef, beautifully marbled, I bet that ate well!!

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes that piece was American Waygu. Over $30 for it. 😬

Cook a chukie low n slow like a brisket to approximately 200* (probe tender) and pull like a pork butt.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here